Tulane hires former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy Sr

From the Showtime Lakers to Devlin Fieldhouse, Tulane has found their new head coach

On March 28th, Tulane Athletic Director Troy Dannen announced Mike Dunleavy Sr. will be the new head coach of Tulane’s men’s basketball team. This is Dunleavy’s first position coaching a college basketball team, given his previous experience is in the NBA.

Dunleavy spent 17 years as an NBA head coach, with the Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks, Portland Trailblazers, and Los Angeles Clippers. As head coach, he has had seven playoffs appearances and took the Lakers to the NBA Finals in the 1990-91 season. He was even named NBA Coach of the Year in 1998-99. Dannen recognizes this as a big opportunity for Tulane basketball.

“We could not be more excited to welcome Mike Dunleavy to the Green Wave family,” Dannen stated. “His reputation as a great evaluator of talent, master of strategy and teacher of the game define him today as one of the top basketball minds in the country at any level. His commitment to Tulane athletics is a game changer for our program.”

Coach Dunleavy’s basketball trading card from his NBA days

Many Tulane students match this excitement: “The new coach will help propel us into a winning era on Tulane’s campus. I’m looking forward to seeing the team flourish under him.”

Dunleavy has coached some of the greatest NBA players in the history of the game, including Magic Johnson, Moses Malone, James Worthy, Scottie Pippen, and Rasheed Wallace among others. And he is excited about his prospects at Tulane.

“I am delighted to have the opportunity to coach the Green Wave and excited to help develop the students-athletes at Tulane into champions,” Dunleavy said.

Dunleavy is replacing Ed Conroy, who was confirmed fired on March 14 after six seasons as Tulane’s head basketball coach.

Tulane