We asked Penn State students what they actually think of Temple

‘It kind of made me wish I went to Temple instead of Penn State’

In a parallel universe, Temple and Penn State might actually get along. It is possible, but still unlikely.

Whether it be over football or the belief coming from the Nittany lions that all Temple students are just Penn State rejects, the consensus among Temple students is clear: fuck Penn State.

We sought out to learn why Temple students have such strong feelings towards Penn State by discovering what Penn State students actually think about Temple.

The results are not what you would expect.

Katie Lawless, Penn State junior, Biobehavior Health student

“I really don’t think Temple is a bad school at all. In fact, I was trying to decide between attending Temple or Penn State, but at the last minute I chose Penn State because of the alumni network and because I wanted to go farther away from home, since Temple is pretty much down the street from my house."

"Temple gets a bad rep basically because of its location. However, I have to say that all of the houses on the inside are well-kept and everyone there is nice. It’s pretty much just the surrounding areas immediately off campus that turn me off, pretty much because of the crime.”

Katie Lawless

Katie Lawless

Joey Mercado, transfer student from Penn State, now a junior at Temple University

"When it comes to sports, there’s this arrogance that Penn State is the best at everything. So of course whenever Temple athletics came up in conversation, they were trashed like every other school."

Joey Mercado and family

Joey Mercado and family

"In academics, Temple was referred to as the school a kid from PA went to when they were denied from PSU. Either way, I think the general belief was that any school other than Penn State was deemed lesser."

Meghan Williams, Penn State, energy engineering student

"My best friend goes to Temple, but I am a Penn Stater so we’re always making backhanded comments to each other! Honestly, I think Temple is really interesting since it’s right in the middle of the city while Penn state is in the sticks. But there is definitely an innate rivalry between us since we’re both relatively big state schools. But I would rather wear blue than red any day of the week."

Collin Foster, 2017 Penn State graduate

"I’ve been to Temple a couple times and I actually love it there. There’s a lot of things to like but the thing that stood out most to me was people’s general willingness to talk. Like I could just walk up to random people and a few of them would be so cool that we’d talk for up to an hour a couple times. It kind of made me wish I went to Temple instead of Penn State."

Collin Foster, right, canning for THON

Collin Foster, right, canning for THON

Wade Malicky, 2013 Penn State graduate

"We are the big brother y’all strive to be," Wade jokes. "Personally I have nothing against Temple. A lot of my friends went there but when it comes to athletics, I am not a fan."

Wade Malicky 2013 graduation

Wade Malicky 2013 graduation

Madie McGraw, transfered to Penn State, rehabilitation and human services junior

"I think the schools offer different atmospheres which attract different students. If you’re more into the city, Temple is for you, but if you’re more towards country, I’d say PSU is perfect. I think the rivalry is only with sports and it’s more just to have fun and not to be rude. Temple bashes PSU and PSU bashes Temple, I’d just rather wear blue and white."

Madie McGraw enjoing a game with boyfriend Adam Kowalewski

Mike Eustis, Penn State senior, mining engineering major

"Temple has a really nice and exciting campus. City life is fun, just expensive. Most of Temple’s degrees come with the proximity advantage on job opportunities in the area.

"You can say the same about any college as far as student culture goes. Some students are there to party while others are strictly pursuing their degree. Temple gets bashed for Hootathon but they have the same honorable intentions as THON. They’re both a great way for students to give back."

Mike Eustis at the 2016 Blue and White game

Hunter Dehoff, Penn State senior

"As a Penn State Student, I know that we are huge rivals and do not get along, but on the other hand they are just like us. They are students who love their school and have fun cheering their teams on."

Hunter Deoff

Hunter Deoff

Maybe we aren’t so different after all.

When it comes down to it, we can leave the trash talk on the field.

Temple University