We went to the second Philadelphia Chinese lantern festival and it was lit

The event celebrates Asian and Pacific American Heritage Month

The second annual festival celebrates Chinese culture with authentic Chinese lanterns, as well as, performances. Dancers, acrobats, and plate spinners perform at different times throughout the evening hours of the festival.

The event is part of Philadelphia’s celebration of Asian and Pacific American Heritage Month.

Visitors enter Franklin Square Park through a large, multicolored lantern on the corner of Race and Sixth Street, off of Chinatown. After entering the festival, visitors are greeted with 29 different sculptures, composed of more than 1,500 lanterns, spread throughout the park.

A 200-foot long dragon is one of the largest lanterns at the festival. Many of the park’s paths are lit up with lanterns hanging from above. Some of the other lanterns include pandas, fish, various birds, and other animals. Each lantern is made with incredible detail and countless LED lights. Many of the lanterns even have moving components.

“My favorite lanterns were the owls and the butterflies,” Bailey Cullen said. “But seeing the lanterns all around the park was magical. I just loved it!”

Cullen grew up north of Philadelphia, in Bucks County. She currently resides in Florida, but decided she had to see the Chinese Lantern Festival while she was in town visiting family.

“I heard it was beautiful.” Cullen said. “I just love visiting Philadelphia so any reason to come and I’m here.”

Rickie Wronski, a Temple University student, loves the opportunity of meeting new people while working the festival.

“I get to meet people from all over the world,” Wronski said. “People from all over the country, but people from other countries come to the festival while visiting Philadelphia.”

Wronski’s duties at the festival include selling tickets, scanning tickets, and guarding gates. His favorite lanterns in the festival are the panda bears, which are located near the festival’s entrance.

The festival also has many vendors selling lights, paper fans, and art. There are also many food options and a beer garden.

Admission to Franklin Square Park is free until 5:00 pm. The park then closes in order to prepare for the festival. The park re-opens for the Philadelphia Chinese Lantern Festival at 7:00 pm. The festival closes at 10:00 pm during the week. On Fridays and Saturdays the festival is open until 11:00 pm.

Admission to the festival is $17 for adults and $12 for children younger than 17 years old. Children younger than two years old receive free admission. The festival also offers a discount for senior citizens and members of the armed forces. Guests are also allowed to bring dogs into the festival. Tickets can be purchased online or at the entrance of the festival.

The Philadelphia Chinese Lantern Festival runs from May 9 until June 11.

Temple University