How to celebrate Valentine’s Day as a single lady

It just means you can spend more money on yourself

February 14th; the day some people wait for all year, and the day everyone else waits for to be over.

For all the lovers out there it’s a day filled with romance, but for all the single ladies it can be a pretty depressing day – but that’s only if you make it seem that way.

Valentine’s Day can actually be a really fun holiday, even if you are single and don’t have a significant other to get dinner with or send you dozens of roses.

So if you’re a single lady this season, don’t sit in bed crying (as you stuff your face alone and watch a romantic movie wishing you were the main character). Instead, go out and have fun—celebrate yourself!

Here’s a few ideas to make your Valentine’s Day as a single lady the best one yet.

Go to dinner with your closest friends

There’s no need to stay in and celebrate the holiday alone. Valentine’s Day is about love, and who says you can’t love your friends just as much as you would love a guy.

Pick a place in the city, get all dressed up and buy yourself a nice meal. Be happy about all the love between you and your friends around the table! Celebrate each other and the friendship that you all share. Besides, you know they will be the ones right next to you when the next guy breaks your heart.

Have a treat yourself kind of day

If you don’t have any plans or anyone to celebrate the day with, go treat yourself!

In order to fully be happy with your life you need to love yourself first. So what better day to do that then Valentine’s Day? Spend all of your money on yourself by going to get your nails done, scheduling a massage, ordering food to your door step or cross an activity off your bucket list.

Celebrate with the other important men in your life

Every girl has that one guy who has always been an important part of your life. He gives you the best advice and you can’t imagine life without him, but there’s definitely nothing romantic about you two.

Whether that be your dad or your best guy friend, go on a date together and enjoy the holiday. It shouldn’t matter that you’re a girl and he’s a guy  and who says you can’t spend Valentine’s Day together.

Did I hear wine? Yup, you should have a wine night

Nothing beats a wine night at your place with your girls or just alone.

Break out the bottles, invite a few people over and sit back and relax. If you’re alone maybe fill up a nice bath as you sip on your favorite type of wine or if plan inviting people to come—get some snacks out, turn the music on and make sure the night is full of positive vibes.

Go to a bar, it’s calling your name

If you don’t have your valentine, who says you can’t get one by the end of the night? Go into the city, get all dressed up and make sure you’re feeling your best.

Mingle at the bar and see if you can find yourself a 2017 valentine.

Bake the night away

You know you love the smell of a kitchen full of goodies. Why not spend the night making all kinds of yummy food to pig out on. Turn some good music on while you begin the baking process and relax as you pretend to be Betty Crocker.

Have a movie marathon

No, I don’t mean turn on The Notebook or any romantic movies, which will only leave you sitting there in tears.

Turn on an old favorite series and watch it straight through. Get your mind off the fact that you don’t have a special valentine and instead sink your mind into something else. Who doesn’t love a good old movie?

Enjoy the day with family

If your family is close by and easy to get to, why not celebrate the holiday giving the good old fam some loving? At the end of the day they’ve always been by your side so in reality, they probably deserve the most love from you. (And you know they’re always dying to spend some time with you.)

Retail therapy is a must today

Let’s be honest, you don’t need a guy to spoil yourself because you’re a grown woman who could do that for her own.

Instead of wasting all your money on someone else, go buy that one thing you’ve been wanting for ages at your favorite store.

Get it and be proud that you are spending money on yourself and leaving the store with something that makes your happy. Besides, you don’t have to worry about getting a dumb Valentine’s day gift that you’ll probably won’t like.

Volunteer to make someone else feel loved

There are so many places you could go on Valentine’s Day to make someone else feel loved. You’re not the only one celebrating the day alone, and others have a lot more going on besides not having a valentine. So go to a homeless shelter, a dog rescue, a hospital, a retirement home or whatever is around you. You might as well make someone else feel loved that day, and you’ll feel better about yourself by doing it, too.

So, no matter what you do, don’t be upset about not having a valentine. You’re not the only single lady out there, and half the people that do have a valentine aren’t even happy. Celebrate you and the positive people in your life. It’ll be a day filled with love and happiness—for yourself!

Temple University