All the things to be thankful for at Temple

Here’s a few reasons not to forget about TU this Thanksgiving

While most of us are home for the holiday and enjoying a nice big meal surrounded by many people that we are thankful for, we must not forget about the place that is shaping our futures. Yes, our parents and guardians have raised us into who we are, but Temple is our home for a few years and it’s a pretty great place to have.

People on the outside may not understand where we’re coming from when we rave about how great Temple University is. Instead, they give us the stereotypical look of shock that we go to a school in North Philadelphia. A lot of us will get the question from a relative over break asking if we feel safe or how we felt during the mob attacks. They only see Temple from the outside, but we on the other hand see it from the inside.

So on this day of thanks we must look back to our university and appreciate all that it has to offer. Here are a few of the many things to be thankful for at Temple.

The diversity

Temple is known for the amount of diversity that it has to offer. There are so many different types of students that attend the university and it creates a very unique atmosphere. You can’t get this at every college, and Temple’s diversity allows us to grow and learn from all different opinions, perspectives, and cultures.

A City-life experience

Luckily for us we are right near Center City, Philadelphia. We are able to live the city life that many young adults dream of. Temple isn’t like those schools in the middle of nowhere with only a campus life– ours is built in a unique way giving us a campus vibe while at the same time being right in the middle of a vibrant city.

The education

Temple may not be an Ivy League school, but we have become a very good academic school. We have won many awards that show the high level of education that is offered at our University. The Fox School of Business was rated in the top 50 Undergraduate Business Programs in 2016 by the US News. The Annenberg School of Media and Communications was also ranked in the Top 10 Colleges for Communication and Journalism by College Factual. Additionally, the Tyler School of Art was rated #15 overall by the US News and World Report. These are only a few of the many accomplishments Temple education has received over the past few years.

Your friends

The people that you will meet and become friends with at Temple will possibly be some of the most influential people in your life. Your friends are there for you and help create a family away from home. Without them you probably wouldn’t have been able to get through that college meltdown that you had a few weeks ago.

The North Philly lessons

Yes, you know that you go to school in North Philadelphia. People ask you all the time about it and question you as to whether you feel safe or not. Some parents even go to the extent of not allowing their children to come to Temple because of what they hear. But as a student that lives in North Philadelphia you learn important life lessons. We are becoming adults and need to grow up and stand on our own feet. There is crime everywhere, and living in a place like North Philly allows you to grow some tough skin.

Your professors and advisers

There are definitely a good amount of professors you literally want to punch in the face because they overload you with work, and at times seem completely unfair. But Temple offers so many amazing professors that have real world experience to help us achieve success. This semester there was even a course taught by a professor, Robert Tuschman, who was previously on the Food Network.

Internship opportunities

Being in the city of Philadelphia definitely helps out a lot with networking and finding yourself good internships.  The university has a number of different networking events and people to help you find the right internship, and being in Philly means most of them are close by.

The Fly-In-4 Program

This partnership with Temple allows us to complete our degree on time and if were not able to Temple will pay for the remaining courses you have to take. Temple gives us all the resources we need to succeed and graduate on time, and if you end up not being able to then there’s no penalty on your part.

The vast array of clubs

Temple offers so many different clubs and organizations that we can become a part of. There truly is something for everyone to fit into and put on their resume. It’s almost more difficult to not be involved in anything because of all that’s put right in front of you. Who knew you would be able to find a belly dancing club at Temple? And if you don’t seem to find the right club for you then all you have to do is start your own club by going on the student activities website.

The celebrities

One of the best parts about going to a big university in a major city is that a lot of celebrities come to campus. Whether they’re just stopping by, performing, or helping to campaign for something, we have the ability to meet so many incredible individuals that not a lot of people get the chance to.

The food trucks

Man oh man…the food trucks. Not many schools can say that they have food trucks located on just about every street of campus. Whether you were running in between classes or want something other than the boring old dining halls the Temple food trucks have your back.

Our school spirit

We may not always be the best in academic or sports rankings, but the pride us Owls have is indescribable. At certain times we come together as a school and cheer each other on, and we support our fellow students in all of their accomplishments.

Temple University