Tina Fey’s Temple visit inspires students to succeed

‘If one door doesn’t open, look for a basement window’

Earlier today Tina Fey accepted the Lew Klein in the Media Award here at Temple.

Students gathered inside Temple Performing Arts Center to be a part of the student conversation with Tina Fey. She spent the morning listening to questions and answering them with her humor, stories, and personal advice.

The Dean of the School of Media and Communications invited her to the stage, accompanied by loud applause and cheers from the student body. “We’ve had some big stars,” Dean Boardman said, “but none as big as this one.”

Photo: Andre Abecassis

Tina grew up in Upper Darby and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1992. Last year both Tina and her brother set up a scholarship in memory of their father, Donald Fey, who graduated from Temple University’s School of Media and Communication.

Tina expressed how influential her father was in her life. She spends time in her book, Bossypants, talking about his impact on her success. Tina explained that it really is important to have a father who you’re a little scared of and who expects a lot from you.

This, to her, helps shape a good work ethic and high standard.

Photo: Andre Abecassis

Tickets to this event were given on a first come first serve basis to students enrolled in the School of Media and Communication.

Tina was asked for career advice, as well as, just life in general. When asked for advice on entering the real world, Tina said, “Have a sense of humor and spend your money on a bus pass.”

Tina told the crowd of her time working at the YMCA after graduating from college. This is where she truly got a feel for what working for your money meant and reminded students that her success didn’t come immediately.

Tina, who appeared on TV when she was in her 30s, spent all of her money on improv classes, bus passes, pizza, and onion rings.

When asked about the hardest part of college, Tina joked, “70 percent of what you learn in college is how to live with roommates.”

Tina also expressed the importance of leaving your hometown to grow as a person.

“Moving away from home helps you stand on your own and try things you might’ve been too scared to try at home.”

One student asked how to stay true to yourself at all times and Tina responded that the secret is never moving to Los Angeles.

“It makes you think, should I wear denim cut offs and ugg boots?

Photo: Andre Abecassis

Many asked Tina about screenwriting, producing, and acting as well.

She expressed the importance of trying it all out, suggesting that actors become producers and writers become actors. Her advice to TV writing was to watch a lot of it and find a way to perform one way or another because in the end, it makes you more sympathetic to actors and what they do.

One student went on to ask what her most meaningful project has been. Tina expressed how proud she was about the 2004 film, Mean Girls, which has been applauded for its core positive message. It was announced recently that there will be a Mean Girls Musical in the fall of 2017 in Washington, D.C. Tina told students she is involved with writing the script for in-between the songs.

Photo: Andre Abecassis

Tina was also asked about her experience on Saturday Night Live. She gave advice to students who want to try out by telling them to look in the mirror, see who you look like and figure out how to talk like them. She told the story of being rejected at first to be on SNL but later after regrouping and transitioning into a writer she was able to be a part of the show.

“If one door doesn’t open, look for a basement window,” Tina said.

Photo: Gail Vivar

At the end of the Q&A, the crowd stood up in a standing ovation to thank Tina for making the time to sit down with students. She allowed some to leave their books and posters for her to sign after she was done. She also let people take selfies with her and even let a few students record her saying hello to their family members.

Tina left students with plenty of advice and desire to succeed just like her. In fact some students, like senior Rebecca Roth, left wishing she was one of Tina’s daughters.

“I want Tina to be my mom,” Rebecca said as she was leaving the talk.

Temple University