A Temple sophomore started her own Temple T-shirt business

Don’t buy one online for $50 when you can get it here on campus for less than $20

If you walk around the tailgates at Lincoln Financial Field or search through Temple students’ Instagram accounts, you’ll notice a trend of cut up Temple T-shirts with all sorts of designs.

Temple girls have started creating their own T-shirts to wear to games, transforming plain Temple tees into fashionable, unique statements. There are websites you can order your own from, but why do that when we have such talented students right here on campus?

One of these talented students is sophomore advertising major Meghan Weale.

Meghan has been creating her own T-shirts for football games since last year. She started off just making them for herself along with a few roommates. But one day a girl in her sorority posted a link to a website offering these cut-up university shirts for forty to fifty dollars. She thought that was a ridiculous amount of money, and she could make those exact designs herself.

“I was like, why should they spend that much – I could just make it for them and charge them half of that because it really doesn’t cost that much to do,” she said. “Once I made one for the girl more and more people started asking me.”

Since then Meghan has created her own business making shirts for other students around campus. She said it takes her about an hour if the shirt needs to be sewed, but otherwise it only takes about 10 minutes to cut up a shirt.

“It’s so fun seeing how excited people get when they see what I made for them,” Meghan said. “That’s definitely my favorite part.”

Her shirts range from ten to twenty dollars, depending on what supplies she needs to make the shirt.

“It’s super unreasonable to charge any more than that,” she said. “I just ask that the customer gives me the shirt, which they usually have just laying around anyway.”

Meghan’s mom taught her to sew when she was 12.

“Ever since then I’ve loved sewing,” she said. ‘It’s like a sort of relaxation thing for me. The cutting part is all about patience. I really think anyone can learn to do this, they just have to have patience when doing it.”

When asked where she gets her inspiration or ideas from she explained Instagram is her key spot. She also sometimes sees a piece of clothing in a store and tries to replicate it at home. Meghan also created a Redbubble account last May, where people can go on the site and purchase some of her designs on different types of clothing, phone cases, stickers, etc.

“It’s such a cool feeling seeing someone wear a shirt I made or purchase one of my designs,” Meghan said. “I can’t even describe it really. I’ve always loved crafting and art but it wasn’t until now in college that people appreciate my stuff so much. It’s really exciting knowing people want to pay money for stuff I make.”

Temple University