The Ten Commandments of being a Temple University football fan

Turn up or transfer

College football is like a religion, it consists of a whole different type of fan than in the NFL. Anyone can root for the Cowboys or the Steelers if they want to, but when you are a fan of a certain college football team, 90% of the time you’re a student or an alumni. Therefore, when your team does well you’re even more proud to have chosen to attend that university.

I am a Temple University student, I am football fan and I will forever be a Temple University football fan. Although many would’ve regarded TU as solely a basketball school in the past, in recent years that has not been the case.

Coach Matt Rhule has turned the program around with his especially successful season in 2015. Achieving a record of 10-4 overall and 7-1 in the American Athletic Division, the team finished as champions of the East Division, as well as getting an invitation to the Boca Raton Bowl. It also doesn’t hurt that at the beginning of the season, for the first time in 74 years, they defeated Penn State University.

Unfortunately, coming off of a tough loss to PSU this past weekend, all we can do as fans is focus on one thing: getting that homecoming weekend win. So brush up on your football bibles and follow these stringent rules this weekend and learn what it means to be a true Temple football fan.

I. Thou shall always rock your Temple gear, not only because it looks good, but also because it’s what a real fan would do

II. Thou shall have undying love for Hooter, and not put any other mascots before him

III. Thou shalt not take the name of Matt Rhule in vain

IV. Remember game day and always keep it on your mind, no matter where you are

V. Thou shalt never speak of Joe Paterno

VI. Thou shalt never speak of the Notre Dame game

VII. Thou shalt always roll squad deep (with family, friends and even Hooter)

VIII. Thou shalt always tailgate in style

IX. Thou shalt always know your Temple cheers and deliver them with the utmost enthusiasm

X. Thou shalt only bleed cherry and white

Cheer on, Temple Owls.

Temple University