Weirdest college application essays

Who knew writing about ice cream and bagels could get you into college?

Applying to college is not an easy process. There are so many steps and the applications are seemingly never-ending. Not only do you have to fill out form after form, you usually also have to submit an essay.

There are so many subjects that you can choose to write about, making the stereotypical stories overused cliches. Colleges nowadays are looking for something more creative. They don’t want to hear about your high school sport experience or how well you do in school; they can see that from your transcript. What they do want to see is a story that tells them something about you that they can’t figure out by looking at all of your records.

Students have come up with some of the most unique topics for college essays. Those stories are the ones that stick out the most, and usually can help give you that push to receive an acceptance letter.

Here are a few students that chose to not write about your typical day to day subjects.

Katherine Finneran, 19

“I wrote about my never ending love for ice cream. Taking this idea, I wrote about how I view certain people as certain types of ice cream flavors.”

Abby Morelli, 19

“For my college essay, I chose to write about the time I helped my grandparents pack up to move out of the house they had lived in for nearly fifty years. I described each of the rooms as I walked through them and explained how the memories I had in that house have shaped me into the person I am today.”

Melanie Weird, 19

“I just wrote about how the perfect bagel makes my day.”

MaryKate Gregor, 19

“I wrote about being in the middle of a big family and how the first time I sat at the big kid table I felt shaped and matured, while still being able to be young.”

Fiona Spinelli, 20

“I wrote about the movie Frozen.  I took the position that there was not anything wrong with girls having  fairy tale ending fantasies, as long as they are able to realize that that is exactly what they are – fantasies. I also talked about how before Frozen, it wasn’t fair that the guy was always the hero in the story, and about how finally it was two sisters reconciling and helping each other overcome individual struggles. Young girls across the globe were able to watch Elsa and Anna solve their own conflict and Anna didn’t need “true loves kiss” to bring her back to life. It was the first movie that challenged the typical Disney idea that you need a prince to save the day, and I think it was very important for young girls to realize that these princesses saved themselves.”

Ellen Moser, 19

“I wrote it from the point of view of sitting down at the table for dinner and talked about how growing up in a big family taught me how to compromise and communicate and be compassionate and stuff like that.”

Temple University