Modeling doesn’t define my life, it’s only part of it

It is through my modeling career that I have saved up enough money to pay for all four years of college

When people think of a model, they automatically picture someone like Candice Swanepoel or Cara Delevingne. But truth is there are millions of models in the world and each one has a different goal in mind.

There is a huge stereotype for models, which makes it very difficult for some to consider themselves a true model. This is something that I have struggled with for years. I tried to keep it a secret for as long as I could in fear of being bullied or made fun of for it.

I didn’t want people to know because I was afraid that other kids would think I was trying to be better than them or say I was prettier than them. I had absolutely no self confidence and didn’t think I was good enough to be a model because I, myself, thought of the stereotype for so long as well.

How I got started

A few months into my freshmen year of high school, I was given contact information for a modeling agency. I told my mom over and over not to contact them because I was too scared they would say I wasn’t good enough for their agency. Against my will my mom contacted them and a few weeks later I signed with an agency.

I told my mom to make sure she didn’t tell anyone but family because I still was so scared that I would fail at being a model. I had this terrible feeling that no one would ever want to hire me to model for their company.

But I was proven wrong within a few months when I started working. I was so nervous and still did not feel confident. I would look over at the photos in disgust and think they were ugly.

Overtime, I finally decided that I needed to give myself some credit. I knew I wasn’t going to be the next Victoria Secret model but at least I was creating opportunities for myself at a young age.

How I did it with school

Luckily for me, I went to a private high school so I didn’t have a set number of days I had to be present like public school kids usually had.

When I began modeling more often, I met with my principal and explained the situation to him. We concluded that as long as I continued to get good grades I was allowed to miss when I needed to.

But this did not make it any easier. I had some teachers who were very understanding and would support me when I needed help. But I also had others that would make comments to me like, “Don’t just think because you’re a model that you’re better than anyone else.”

I hated telling teachers and students why I was missing school. I kept it a secret for so long until I began working more and it just was too hard to keep lying. One year I missed almost an entire half of a semester so people knew something was up.

It was hard to miss school days repeatedly and have to make up the work right away. It wasn’t like I was sitting in my house all day. Sometimes I wouldn’t get home until late because of travel and then I would have to finish all my homework before school the next morning. As soon as I would feel caught up in my school work, I would miss another day and fall behind again.

The pros v. cons

When I tell people I model, they automatically think of how fun that must be. And yes, while it is lots of fun there are many things that aren’t so fun.

People ask me all the time why I don’t just model and the answer to that is – it’s just not that easy. I’m not some super skinny, tall, beautiful model that can do it for a living. I use it as a side job instead and I couldn’t be more thankful that I can do that.

It is through my modeling career that I have saved up enough money to pay for all four years of college. Not many kids can go into their freshmen year knowing that they personally have enough to get them through.

I have gained so many connections by working in the industry. Being able to get to know individuals from various companies has helped me grow as an individual.

I have also learned to put on some tough skin. I’ve gone to audition after audition and more than half of them I never hear anything back. It’s intimidating to walk into a room full of beautiful girls that you compare yourself to.

I have heard so many comments about what I do and people’s opinions on it. When I first started, I was not very good. People would find my pictures on the internet and make fun of them. Growing up in high school, listening to those comments was not easy to do. People would make fun of the companies I worked for just because they didn’t sell cute clothing or their store was “not trendy.”

But today I look back at everything and think, “Who cares!”

I make a lot more then the average teenage kid and I have fun doing it. I get to experience new things all the time and meet some really cool people.

Modeling as a college student

My senior year of high school was so easy that I was not worried at all when I would miss school. I tried to work as much as possible because I wanted to make any money I could before college.

My first semester at Temple had a pretty packed schedule but I managed to have Fridays off. I figured I could work on Fridays and focus on college Monday through Thursday.

This semester I only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which allows me to be able to work any other days of the week. But, it doesn’t seem as easy as it sounds.

I like to say I have a part-time job modeling now. I do it whenever I can. College comes first to me because in the end I know a degree is going to get me much farther than my modeling career.

I’m not the type of person that only has one plan. I like to have many options with plenty of back ups. So for now I love modeling but my main focus is getting my degree in journalism.

Modeling has already been so influential in planning my future. It has given me on-camera experience that has helped tremendously for broadcast journalism. It has taught me to go for anything I want and to not stop at the first ‘no.’

I do have dreams sometimes of being a famous model, like Candice or Cara, but I don’t think thats the path for me. My goal in modeling is to get experience, meet great people, make good money, and enjoy doing it on the side.

Anyone can be a model if they brand themselves in their own way and figure out their place in the industry. I am friends with girls who have made modeling a full time job and they are killing it. But for me, I’m happy with what I do and I don’t know what exactly is in store for my future. Maybe I’ll model more, maybe I’ll model less, who knows!

For now, I’m just your typical college girl, seeing what all my options are and enjoying each moment.

Temple University