Philadelphia berns up for Bernie Sanders

Somebody call 911

13,000 people and 4,000 overflow crowd members stopped, dropped, and rolled at Bernie’s visit to the Liacouras Center on Temple University’s campus.

Crowds arrived in waves as they were serenaded by Drum Like A Lady, a Drum performance band, who kept the atmosphere lively.

People made signs and waved flags, amping the crowd up as they waited over the hours. For several minutes everyone in the entire Liacouras Center participated in doing the wave. Despite the long wait, the fire had not left Bernie’s patient people.

The speeches began at 8pm with a Bernie staffer and the Temple Nurses’ Union President, who spoke on the issues nurses and their patients face due to minimal funding and educational programs.

Simone Sanders, Bernie’s national press secretary, spoke before Bernie came out. She encouraged the crowd to participate in caucusing. The info can be found by texting PA to 826-23.

Following these speakers, Senator Hayward came out and spoke to the crowd about how Bernie’s presidency would positively impact the city of Philadelphia. “Last year, like many of you, I heard about a man, a many who believed in many of the things that I believed in, a man who believes in what I want for my community, a man who believes in what I want for my country,” Hayward says.

He continued to speak about crippling student loan debt, “pipelines to prison,” and racial inequality. He said, “Our challenge is so great that we have to shout ‘Black lives matter’ just to get, just to remind us, that African lives count.” He also discussed issues with wage inequality and the current minimum wage, which leads many to poverty.

Senator Hayward concluded his speech saying, “So, as you have all done today and millions have done already, I have decided to stand with this man, to support him, his vision, and the political revolution. Who is this man?”

The crowds began to chant “Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!” as Bernie Sanders himself arrived. At 8:52pm, Bernie flamed down the catwalk toward his podium as the crowd screamed. Like Katniss Everdeen, sans flaming dress, Bernie represents a change to his people.

He went on saying, “The reason why I think our campaign is doing as well as it is, is because we are treating the American people as intelligent human beings. And we are addressing the real issues facing our country.”

He discussed inequality in the workforce by explaining that women “are saying that they are tired of working for $0.79 on the $1 compared to men. And I know that every man in this arena will stand with the women in the fight for pay equality.”

“The United States of America is the only major county on earth not to guarantee health care to all people. Together we’re gonna change that.”

Bernie said, “You wanna hear about crazy? This is crazy. One out of every five Americans who go to the doctor and get a prescription are unable to afford to fill that prescription. We are seeing senior citizens all over this country cutting their pills in half because they can’t afford the medicine that they need” followed by loud boos from the crowd. The crowd cheered when he proposed a Medicare for all healthcare system.

Bernie Sanders is known for his dedication to racial equality over the past several decades. When speaking of the latest issues on race, many of which that have been agitated by Donald Trump, he said “We are different colors. We are different religions. And that is our strength as a people coming together. And coming together always trumps dividing us up.”

“The American people understand. They understand that what life is about is people helping people. Your family is in trouble, I gotta be there for you. My family is in trouble, you gotta be there for me.”

Bernie also talked about the rights of the LGBT community, a hot topic for the very liberal Temple University campus. He received many cheers when he explained how it was the unity of the LGBT community and their allies over the past decades that helped gain the equality we have today. The continued bond of these people will help further this equality as time goes on.

The raising of the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 is a huge topic Bernie Sanders and the Philadelphia community have in common. After listing cities like Seattle, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, and New York that have adopted the $15 minimum wage, Bernie said “that will be the minimum wage in fifty states of this country.”

The Philadelphia community came to see Bernie Sanders with loud voices and open arms. The excitement that filled the stadium then flooded Broad Street after he finished his speech.

The Pennsylvania Primary is on Tuesday, April 26. Voters who live in Philadelphia can find their nearest poll station online. Voters using the absentee ballot must mail their absentee ballot applications by April 19 and mail their voted ballots April 22.

Photos by Dylan Keith

Temple University