The unstoppable efforts of a Stadium Stomper

‘This neighborhood is already in, sort of say, shambles’

Since news spread of the new Temple Football Stadium, the group of protestors knows as the Stadium Stompers have been meeting at 18th and Diamond at the Church of the Advocate., every other Thursday. They use meeting time to create posters for protests, listen to speakers from North Philadelphia and Temple University, who discuss why they’re against the stadium, and future plans for protest.

Reasoning against the stadium includes: raised taxes, noise control, tailgating, rise in tuition, parking, lack of funds for other important projects, and the lack of community involvement.

At the March 10th meeting members of the community spoke, some describing their experiences dealing with the expansion of Temple University in the past. It’s an issue that has lasted for over four decades.

Jackie Wiggins, a resident who spoke at the event, said “In years past, Temple University, which is mostly east of Broad, was prevented from coming west of Broad for many years by many activists, community residents. And Temple listened, or at least backed off. Unfortunately, many of those activists have transitioned.”

A letter from State Representative W. Curtis Thomas, in support of the Stadium Stompers said that, “My office will remain committed to stand with, for, and on behalf of the community. We will follow the direction of the community since we can’t scratch where we don’t itch and we can’t dance to music we don’t understand.”

A North Philadelphian rapper showcased a song he wrote in support of the cause. He was accompanied by an all children choir.

A written message from the Stadium Stompers said the following:

“This group has named itself the “Stadium Stompers” and hundreds have been in attendance over the past few weeks. Our organization has been able to more fully understand the exact grievances and issues the people of North Philadelphia have with the current plan through these discussions. One man who has lived in the area for over fifty years said that before Temple thinks about building a stadium they need to remedy all of the other issues the university has caused. He said, “this neighborhood is already in, sort of say, shambles”, because of many community issues, some of which are caused by Temple.”

We spoke to block Captain Charlotte Savage, and learned that in addition to Temple ignoring existing problems in the neighborhood, the administration has also been lying to community members.

Savage attended a meeting at Temple University’s Diamond Club, where she inquired as to whether or not the stadium was going to be built. The administration said “There’s nothing happening.” We now know this to be false and it further proves Temple is making no effort to address the concerns and questions of the community in which it resides.

The group is willing to remain active as long as the plans for the stadium still stand. In the past, the Church of the Advocate has been used for meetings for other activist groups during the Civil Rights Movement.

Temple University