I attended a Trump rally as a liberal

I left with fewer brain cells and a lot less respect for the man

A few months ago, I convinced my libertarian friend in accompanying me to see Trump, who was holding a rally only an hour away from our hometown.

We planned on going to the rally 30 minutes early in order to get a good spot, but upon arrival we were greeted with lines of people wrapping around the venue. After jumping from parking lot to parking lot, we were finally able to find a spot and make our way into the gargantuan line of supporters.

Directly across from the line into the venue was a group of about 100 protesters guarded by police, caution tape and a bright LED sign that displayed the message: “Free Speech Area.” Aside from a handful of hecklers, the line for Trump seemed to give little attention to the protesters, opting to pay for overpriced bootleg merchandise.

Once we got into the venue, we had to go through what was essentially airport security. We made our way through and walked passed vendors selling hot dogs, hamburgers and the infamous “Make America Great Again” hats. I chose not to get one, even though doing so would have been completely sarcastic.

My first glance at the stage left me in awe. The venue turned out to be a college hockey arena with a huge jumbotron in the center of the ceiling, seats all around and people on the floor with signs and noisemakers. We went down a few rows to find seats next to a group of high school kids, who like us, wanted to see the spectacle that was a Trump rally.

The jumbotron’s screen lit up and displayed a video montage of highlights of supporters showing their undying love for Trump. The crowd stood up and cheered in excitement. All who were able to remain standing throughout the presentation, which climaxed with the PA announcer introducing “the next president of the United States: Donald Trump!”

The crowd was electric and fiercely chanted for Trump. The ’80’s anthem ‘We’re Not Gonna Take It’ blasted through the stadium speakers and lights flashed all over the arena, just like a professional sports event.

Trump got up onto the podium and thanked the crowd for their turnout, expressing gratitude for their dedication and determination despite the cold New England weather. It did not take him long to begin bragging as he recognized the fact that this event was setting a new capacity record for the stadium. He continued on with his traditional jabs at the other GOP candidates, Hillary Clinton, President Obama and of course, Jeb Bush.

I have volunteered for three campaigns in my life, interned for two elected officials. I have had the opportunity to see politicians speak live such as Rick Santorum, Ed Rendell and Hillary Clinton. But this was different.

After riling up the crowd with bizarre, ignorant and unrealistic ideas, the charismatic businessman turned politician showed his audience appreciation. In particular, Trump called out a man on the floor area wearing a shirt endorsing him with New England Patriots star player Tom Brady as his running mate.

Other candidates were not shown as much praise. Several times during the rally, protesters stood up and shouted to interrupt the speech. All of them were escorted out of the arena; some even tried to run away, but instead faced embarrassment in front of 10,000 Trump fans.

He criticized President Obama’s actions with the military, citing predictability and the fact that he followed plans and timelines rather than using a strategy of being impulsive and unpredictable. He attacked other members of the Republican party, calling out their soft demeanor and low poll numbers. He mocked Jeb Bush for his failures and his struggles, despite being looked at as the front runner in the beginning of the race.

He talked about his infamous and unrealistic plan to build a wall on the Mexican border, and of course about how he was the best choice for his personal background in building. He later explained that the way he would get Mexico to build the wall would be a classic Trump surprise – probably Celebrity Apprentice style.

In the midst of all of the energy, shouting, insults and other chaos, there was a certain vibe that I had never received from any other candidate or campaign. It was unlike the intimate Q&A’s and patriotic speeches at other rallies I had gone to in the past. For a moment I was sucked in; I understood the appeal and thought maybe some of his ideas could work. Maybe, just maybe, Trump could truly make America great again!

But then I remembered I wasn’t an idiot and proceeded to watch the show.

Temple University