Why I don’t agree with boycotting the Oscars this year

It’s not the way to change things

On January 14th, the nominees for the 88th annual Academy Awards were released, and everyone has been going bat-shit crazy. 

The boycott is still taking place, and probably will until the awards are over and forgotten about. The issue at hand lies with the African American community not getting enough recognition in film, particularly at The Oscars, considering for the second year in a row, all of the acting nominees are white.

It started with Jada Pinkett Smith releasing a video in which she introduced the idea of a boycott. Her argument was that there are not enough black nominees (coincidentally, her husband, Will Smith, was snubbed a nomination for his role in Concussion) and that it diminishes them, as a people, when they have to ask for such things.

Let me first say, I completely agree with the notion of needing more diversity at the Oscars and in film in general, but Jada’s argument has no depth. The real issue at hand is that there are simply not enough African Americans in the film industry to not be a minority at film’s biggest awards ceremony. Oscar winning director Spike Lee says the issue is found in the executive offices of the Hollywood Studios, TV and cable networks. If there aren’t enough roles for blacks, or not enough blacks being chosen for “Oscar winning roles”, how can we expect to see just as many black nominations as white? We can’t. Two-time Oscar nominee Viola Davis felt the same way, telling Entertainment Tonight, “You can change the Academy, but if there are no black films being produced, what is there to vote for?”

Jada posted a video online. This video which was taken from the comfort of a California mansion, is not going to make a difference. If one wants to see change, one has to go out and pursue change. Talk to African American youth and educate them on the issues at hand.

Not going to the Oscars is going to make these boycotters “out of sight, out of mind.” Go to the ceremony. Show your face. Not going is diminishing the awards you want to be nominated for. It’s saying, “I want to be recognized for this, but I’m not going to support the others who are nominated until I am”.

The most important point in this rant is the obsession of needing to be rewarded for our actions. Why are awards such a huge deal in our culture? Why do we need the reassurance of people, whom we don’t know, to tell us we did a great job? To know we succeeded? An award is an award. If one does great work, he or she will be recognized in many different ways. Not winning an Oscar doesn’t mean David Oyelowo (Selma) didn’t have an incredible performance. Not winning an Oscar doesn’t mean Idris Elba (Beasts of No Nation) wasn’t extraordinary. And everyone’s favorite – Leonardo DiCaprio is still just as respected without any Oscars on his shelf.

It parallels the world’s obsession with sports. Losing a national championship seems like the end of all creation for college and professional basketball, football hockey, baseball and soccer teams. Come on, people.  A name will be remembered if the person made an impact, not if the trophy remains on their shelf. Just because it’s not there doesn’t mean they weren’t great at what they did.  Not receiving an Oscar does not diminish greatness.

I’m honestly intrigued by this boycott and I hope to see actual change come from it. But to anyone reading this, watch the Oscars.

Just because a bunch of white dudes are nominated doesn’t mean they don’t deserve it.

Temple University