Peabody is the hidden gem of residence halls

It’s not as bad as you think

Whenever someone asks me, “Which res hall do you live in?” and I say, “Peabody,” their response is almost always, “Eww. I am so sorry.”

Sorry? Why be sorry? Peabody is great. It may not be as state of the art as Morgan, or have a built-in dining hall like J&H, but it definitely is one-of-a-kind.

Peabody is full of life

Something exciting is always going on in Peabody. Consider it the dorm that never sleeps. Anything can and will happen here. To quote Reddit user Vennith, “Peabody is good for the bizarre.”

Peabody hosts fun events

Seriously, the events Peabody hosts are the best. Masturbation Bingo and a Nipple Hunt through the Philadelphia Museum of Art, anyone? Diamond Dollars for the winners.

Peabody has awesome security guards

The security guards of Peabody make it their job to not only protect those of us who live there, but to also get to know us. 

Peabody has old-school revolving doors

Not those slow-moving, high-tech ones. So you can actually feel like a kid again before heading to class.

Peabody has the coolest RAs

The RAs in Peabody are so chill and so friendly. You soon get to know all the RAs, not just your own.

Peabody is artsy

Peabody is home to the Tyler School of Art, so many of the students who live here are very artistic. There’s even an art studio in the basement.

Peabody has a full kitchen

Residents can sign out the kitchen on the first floor anytime they like. It has a fridge, oven, stove, and all the kitchen tools you need to make a (sort of)home-cooked meal!

Peabody is “vintage”

Peabody has been around for 60 years. Naturally it’s faced some wear and tear from us college students. But that doesn’t mean that the building is falling apart.

Common misconceptions include: a massive infestation of bugs, collapsing ceilings, and slime oozing from the walls (this is a fully operating residence hall, not the Krusty Krab).

Stepping into Peabody is like stepping into a different time period. It has a style that we inhabitants like to call “vintage” or “retro!”

Peabody has ghosts

290 students live in Peabody each year, which means about 17,400 Temple students have lived there since it was built in 1956. Also, the grounds on which Peabody was built originally housed the home of President Russell Conwell in the 1800’s.

So it’s no surprise that many students who’ve lived here have claimed to see ghosts. Regardless of where they’ve been spotted (often the hallways and bathrooms), the supernatural presence is there.

Peabody is home away from home

Peabody feels like a home rather than a temporary living place. The memories you make from living here begin the moment you unpack your things on move-In day. And the people you meet will prove to be long-lasting friends. They become your family at Temple.

Temple is a very comfortable, friendly campus, and Peabody epitomizes that cozy environment. There’s a special bond that forms when Temple students find out they’ve both lived in Peabody.

Anyone who lives in/has lived in Peabody will always defend and celebrate their home…Peabody or nobody.

Temple University