I ditched my boyfriend on Valentine’s Day for a concert

No, I don’t regret it

You’re allowed to celebrate your love for each other on the other 364 days of the year as well.

What is it with people and Valentine’s Day?

It’s sappy, expectations are way high as a kite, and the flowers die a week later anyways. Valentine’s Day is simply a universal excuse to show off your significant other as if no one sees your PDA on Instagram as it is.

Obviously, I’ve never been a fan.

So when my boyfriend came to visit me at school last year, I had a choice to make. These were my two options:

A: Pretend to enjoy eating at a restaurant more expensive than my college tuition

B: Go see The Districts play at Union Transfer

If you read anything above, you know I chose option B. I chose a concert over my boyfriend and no, I don’t regret my decision. Here’s why:

Dinner happens 365 days a year. A band tours maybe once a year

I just spent three full days by your side. What’s two hours apart?

If you’ve ever seen The Districts live, you understand the euphoric energy

I personally haven’t found a restaurant or movie theater with an engaging atmosphere more intense than a concert.

When in a relationship, neither side should have to wait for a certain day of the year to be shown acts of love

It should happen constantly and when Valentine’s Day roles around, it shouldn’t be so out of the blue. We went out a different day and that’s okay.

I wanted to go. So I fucking went.

If you’re dating someone that would drop you in a heartbeat for missing Valentine’s Day festivities, I’m sorry. If you and your partner just happen to have different plans on the big day, go for it.

Believe it or not, you’re allowed to celebrate your love for each other on the other 364 days of the year as well. You’ll even avoid lines and waitlists.

Temple University