The best things about being on break

Thanksgiving break is finally upon us – here’s what you should be thankful for

Thanksgiving break is upon us here at Temple. For most of us that means heading back home, hanging out with the family and eating a hell of a lot of turkey.

We all love it here a TU, but let’s be real – getting away for a week is much needed at this point in the semester. Here’s a list of some of the things that us Temple students should be extra thankful for while we’re stuffing our faces this Thursday.

Not getting mugged

Congratulations, you’ve successfully made it (almost) through another semester without getting jumped on the side of the street! TU alerts seem to pop up on our phones more often than actual texts, and it’s no secret that the locals don’t exactly love us. North Philly isn’t the safest place in the world and just walking home from the Tech at night sometimes feels like living life on the edge. But alas, it’s vacation time and we can now run home to the quiet little suburbs we came from. We’ve survived another three-ish months, so pat yourselves on the back and make sure to check the expiration date on your pepper spray before you get back.

Sleep

8am classes are as big a part of the college experience as blacking out and Easy Mac. But while drinking until you pass out and microwaveable mac and cheese both have their upsides, 8ams just flat out suck. Nobody ever gets to class on time, nobody is ever awake and nobody ever does well in them. Give thanks underclassmen, for while on vacation you can finally sleep in until 1pm like the rest of us.

Personal transportation

Don’t worry, I didn’t leave out the part about how much it sucks actually getting to those 8ams (or anywhere in the city for that matter). Walking to class is no fun, especially with the winters we’ve been having in Philly lately. You have to put on 5+ layers to stay warm for the 15 minute walk to Anderson/Gladfelter, only to take them all off once you get to class for fear of sweating to death. And don’t even get me started with the infamous Morgan Wind Tunnel. I’m going to throw SEPTA into this bullet point too, because let’s face it, nobody likes them either. The subway smells like homeless people and cat piss, regional rail charges $10 just to go from here to 30th St Station, and I’m honestly too frightened to even step foot on a bus. Having a car to drive when I get home makes me feel about as free as a red white & blue bald eagle eating apple pie and drinking a Budweiser while watching Monday Night Football.

No more mid-terms

Somehow professors here at Temple aren’t familiar with the concept of a “mid-term exam.” Instead of having them all in the middle of the semester like they do at most other universities, it seems like the exams here are never ending. Every other week we have a test, quiz or project that counts for huge chunks of our semester grades. The good news is that for one glorious week per semester our professors take pity on us- vacation week. Make sure to take full advantage of this one week you won’t have tests, because as soon as we get back finals are going to be starting up and the suffering will begin all over again.

FOOOOOOOOD!!!

Last but most certainly not least, this one’s no secret. The thing people are looking forward to the most is getting as far away as possible from the J&H and Morgan cafeterias. I think I’ve had enough cafeteria pizza to feed 5 armies in my 3 years here at TU, and I doubt I’m alone on that one.

Going home to some of Mom’s good ol’ homemade dinners is the real reason we all want vacation. Sure, be thankful for all that stuff I mentioned before and for family and friends and all that good stuff, but most importantly be thankful that on Thursday you’ll get to stuff your face with pounds upon pounds of turkey and mashed potatoes.

Temple University