We went down to watch the plays written in 24 hours – and it got WEIRD

‘People accidentally pooping themselves during second grade orchestra class in order to not miss a solo’

Insomnia Theater is the Temple club that writes and performs shows in 24 hours.

Its performers meet for the first time at auditions the night before the show – and the results are known to be hilarious.

Intrigued, we went down to the TU Underground for the first show of the semester. It did not disappoint.

Andrea Carney (left); Shia LaBeouf (right)

It started with auditions – the night before.

Newcomer Andrea Chang reenacted Shia Leboeuf’s viral video “Just Do It.” Needless to say, the resemblance was uncanny.

“After finding the video with only one week before the big night, I was so inspired to perform the motivational speech to the point where I asked the staff to put me first on the list of auditions,” she told The Tab.

There were guys performing Dreamgirls in drag.

There were recitations of Kanye West’s 2020 campaign speech.

There were songs from the Fairly OddParents played on a guitar.

There were tales of people accidentally pooping themselves during second grade orchestra class in order to not miss a solo.

And a guy called Matt Kowalski walked on stage and read a compilation of Kim Kardashian quotes.

He could basically be mistaken for the infamous Kardashian herself.

Some personal favorites.

“I’m honored that Kanye calls me his ‘Perfect Bitch’. I love it. I know he doesn’t mean it in a negative way when he says that word.”

“I only just started wearing underwear a month ago, and I never wore underwear until then.”

“It annoys me whenever someone says, ‘What do you actually do?’ All I think is, ‘How are you so ignorant that you don’t know?’ I mean, what an uneducated question.”

After the auditions, the writers immediately got to work on the script.

Jillian Klimko, Jess Baar and Ash Miller act as female prisoners of a British Women’s Correctional Facility while Jess Varughese plays a CIA agent who came to the prison in disguise to seek out information in a scene from Insomnia Theater’s “Netflix Spectacular”

24 hours later, we were back underground and it was showtime.

Director Cara Glatfelter explained the process to The Tab.

“We start with assembling a group of actors for an audition,” she said. “Afterwards, the writers stay up late into the night writing a script until it is ready for the actors.

“The next day, our crew meets at the Bell Tower where the actors split into groups to review their skit in the show. They rehearse their lines for the majority of the day.”

Then lights, camera, hilarity!

That Saturday night, the cast of Insomnia Theater’s put on “Netflix Spectacular,” a variety of skits about the unwanted (and super unnecessary) genres on Netflix including a musical version of Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide.

“Although I felt nervous on stage, I thought the audience really enjoyed it,” Andrea said afterwards.

“The president of the club said 70 per cent of the people were new, but it felt like an old crew.”

Temple University