New dessert bar to open in Armory Square

Sugar and Co. will be satisfying sweet tooths in the Syracuse area starting this Thursday at their Grand Opening.

Craving something sweet?

Starting this Thursday, February 23 from 5-11pm, Armory Square will be home to Sugar and Co., a new dessert bar. This new addition to the downtown area will be serving beer, wine, light appetizers, and desserts in a laid-back environment.

Co-owner Erin Fazzary says that she wants Sugar and Co. to be a place for every occasion. “A place you would go for a date night or a fun night out with friends,” she said, “where you can try new wine and satisfy your sweet tooth, all at the same time. ”
Fazzary and fellow co-owner Kristin Andrzejewski saw an opening in the Armory Square market when Bittersweet Wine Bar and Desserts closed in the summer of 2016. Both Fazzary and Andrzejewski worked at Bittersweet and knew that they would be able to apply their restaurant experience to their own venture.

Sugar and Co.’s Soft Opening last Saturday helped the co-owners to test out the operations of the bar. After initial hiccups, including a malfunctioning wine fridge, Fazzary said the team hit their stride.

“Our staff started to really vibe together and things started to seem natural,” she said.

Besides experienced owners and a friendly staff, customers can also expect a unique menu. Though primarily a dessert bar, Sugar and Co. will also serve shareable appetizers, salads and paninis. Fazzary says she wants there to be something for everyone on the menu. From stuffed mushrooms to a bacon and jalapeño panini, all tastes can be satisfied.

In order to cater to everyone, Fazzary and Andrzejewski were careful to include gluten free and vegan options as well.

The dessert menu contains classics, like a flourless chocolate cake and lemon meringue bar; classics with a twist, like a ginger creme brûlée; and more out of the ordinary confections, like their matcha cake or PB&J ruffle cake.

Fazzary and Andrzejewski worked with experts to make sure that their wine and beer offerings are well-curated and unique to Sugar and Co.

This blend of classic and new is what makes Sugar and Co. special, says Fazzary.

“People should come to Sugar and Co. because they’re not going to find the interesting wines, and long list of desserts anywhere else in the Syracuse area, and especially not in the late night, downtown setting,” she said.

You can find Sugar and Co. at 121 W Fayette St. starting this weekend.

Syracuse University