Syracuse University will not celebrate Jim Boeheim’s 1000th win

The NCAA is prohibiting the team from celebrating because of the elimination of 101 wins in 2015

This morning, Syracuse.com reported that there will be no celebration for Jim Boeheim’s 1000th win with the Syracuse University men’s basketball team. He began his 41st season with the Orange with 985 victories and though the team started this semester 8-6, it is highly likely that Boeheim will see his 1000th win this week or next. He is currently at 998 victories.

Jim Boeheim attends a Sports Leadership Conference

However, it’s common knowledge that his team was stripped of 101 wins due to an investigation and interview conducted by the NCAA in 2015. Syracuse.com’s Bud Poliquin sat down with Boeheim on Monday to discuss the team’s plans for celebration.

Jim Boeheim told Poliquin that the NCAA has informed the Orange that they are prohibited from making any sort of official announcement or statement in the Carrier Dome in the event that the 1000th win is reached. “The NCAA has written and sent us a letter. We got a letter right away. ‘You delete all these, and this is how many wins you have. Period.’ We’re forbidden from saying something in the Dome at any time. Or post anything. Or congratulate in any way,” said Boeheim to Syracuse.com.

It is likely that Syracuse Orange fans will still celebrate in some way if the Orange beats NC State and Virginia this week. After all, Syracuse was ranked #1 for most school spirit in 2016 by the Princeton Review.

How do you plan on celebrating the King of Syracuse’s 1000th win?

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University