Dear Santa, the ultimate ‘Cuse wishlist

We’ve been an awfully good campus

Santa’s making his list and checking it twice and you bet the entire ‘Cuse campus is on the nice-list this year. If we could wish for an infinite amount of things (and actually have them come true) these would be at the tip top of our wishlist.

Less fire-alarms

There is probably nothing worse than being woken up at 1, 3, or even 5 AM from the relentless, ear-shattering sound that is the fire alarm. If you live in Lawrinson, or any other freshman dorm for that matter because let’s face it, some of us youngsters cannot make popcorn or easy-mac without burning it to save our lives, then you most likely feel my pain. In just one semester, Lawrinson has had almost 25 fire drills, which equals about two a week or if we’re extra lucky, two in one day! (Yes that actually happened) Please, we’re begging, either help everyone else by giving them lessons in making popcorn correctly or stop the fire alarms altogether to save us many painful trips up the stairs.

Chicken tenders everyday, not just Thursdays

CFT. Chicken finger Thursdays. If you didn’t know, this is 100 percent a weekly thing and because of it, I find my friends and I constantly counting down the days until another Thursday arrives. There’s just something about the Thursday chicken tenders that makes them absolutely delicious and makes people fill dining hall plates and take-out boxes to the tip top with fried chicken. Although they are not the healthiest, they really give us college kids that final push to finish out the week strong. If we could have them everyday, our hearts (but maybe not our health) will ultimately thank you.

Tunnels to get to and from class (preferably heated!)

This one may be a stretch but tunnels or even shuttles to transport us from class to class would be a real life saver. Winter is hitting Syracuse quite strongly this year and I have already found myself questioning why I decided to attend college upstate in the first place. The cold is absolutely brutal and no amount of goose-feather stuffed jackets or wool socks can save us from it. Even if you’re from a place where snow is no surprise, you will eventually find yourself crying like an idiot from the burning cold, wind and hail that’s hitting you directly in the face on your way back from class. If not, consider yourself lucky.

“help”

Classes in bathroom hygiene (for the people that need it)

What can I say, many people cannot cook popcorn or easy-mac and those same people are probably the same ones who litter the bathroom with their hair, beauty products and all the other unmentionables (you know what I’m talking about). The bathroom situation is already less than ideal due to the size of the shower stall, and the existence of shower shoes and shower caddies in general so if people could magically be granted better hygiene habits and manners, it would certainly make ‘Cuse a better campus.

DJ’s to be 18 and up again

Whether you go there just to pregame or to dance the entire night away, DJ’s is one of the best spots on campus to do so. At the beginning of the school year, it was open to anyone 18+ which made it the place to go if you were a freshman and didn’t have nearly enough “street-cred” to get yourself into a real frat party. Now, it has closed its door to anyone that is not 21 and up and therefore leaves us freshman out in the cold, suffering the long walk to and from house parties that sometimes, just cannot compare.

Coat rooms for every house/frat party

I have made the mistake one too many times of leaving my coat at home (because it ruined my outfit) and in return, suffered the consequences of walking home in the pouring rain and even hail. If party houses could be so kind and create coat rooms, it would eliminate the decision for wearing the jacket or leaving it at home because then I would bring it every time.

Before…

After…

Professors that keep grades on Blackboard up to date

I have never understood why professors cannot keep grades up to date. Yes, I understand that they’re busy teaching students, working on ground-breaking research and overall, living their own lives but it would be nice to know we’re doing in classes before we see our final grade at the end of the semester. I’m not asking for professors to devote every moment of every day to updating his grade book but to add grades to Blackboard weekly or even biweekly would be an amazing stress reliever so we don’t convince ourselves that we need a 108 on the final exam to pass the course.

Santa, we’re not asking for a lot, just a couple small things to make our already great campus that much better. We’ll leave the cookies out for you.

Syracuse University