2016 sucked but go ‘Cuse basketball, right?

The only good thing about this year was getting to the Final Four

You don’t need to have a college degree (or maybe you do, according to many exit polls during the election) to realize that 2016 may have been one of the worst years on record for everyone. It seems as if the entire world has actually fallen apart at the seams. Between climate change, politics, and the promenade, The Tab is here to clarify what was so shitty about 2016 in the rare event that you think 2016 was great.

Millennials were disappointed by the election for the President of the United States

Photo courtesy of www.politically-inclined.com

Part of 2015 and all of 2016 was been dominated by the Presidential Election. For those of us between the ages 18-29, it seems that we were let down by the older generations in this country. (Mind you, a lot of the most controversial policies influence OUR lives, not the lives of the 65+ population.)  According to www.politically-inclined.com and the New York Times, most millennial voters went blue. So to everyone who says that millennials don’t care about politics and don’t want to vote, you can kiss it.

2016 was the second hottest year on record

Late November in Syracuse

While this fact should surprise us, it doesn’t. According to The Washington Post, “warm records are outnumbering cold records 8 to 1.” It’s completely normal for climate change to occur and it has been happening for the 4.5 billion years that this planet has been in existence. It’s not normal, however, for the earth’s surface to be warming this quickly and it’s all our fault. But can we reserve the effects of greenhouse gases or lower our consumption of fossil fuels like gas and coal? (The answer is yes, we can do something to help but our politicians need to get on board too.)

Syracuse University spent $6 million on a glorified sidewalk

Stop SU from wasting money 2016

Syracuse University students had a tuition increase but the promenade got built with grant money. Where did our tuition go? Food Services tried to feed us fruit with bugs and wings with feathers, and eliminated the make-your-own pasta bar.

So many musicians died

If you live under a rock and don’t care about politics or saving the Earth, you can at least care about the fact that the world lost so many incredibly gifted musicians this year. 2016 saw the unfortunate deaths of David Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Frank Sinatra, Jr., and many others. The music community is probably going to in mourning for the rest of its existence.

Brexit actually happened

“So what the hell happens now?” (Same)

The United States spent a good two seconds laughing at the Brits before we elected Donald Drumpf as our President. Now the joke is on us.

Why does it seem like everyone had the worst fall semester?

It seems like everyone, at Syracuse and elsewhere, has had the worst semester of their life. The Tab spoke with students about what is making everything related to academics such shit. Morgan, a junior TRF major, told us, “There’s really nothing that is awful other than the fact that everything is awful.” Well said.

The only good thing about this year was the fact that both the men’s and women’s basketball teams got to the Final Four and the SU campus nearly exploded with excitement. Here’s to a less shitty 2017 and a great basketball season.

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University