Your guide to a fashionable winter

It’s what’s under the jacket that counts

Dressing cute in even the coldest conditions doesn’t have to be a nightmare. Although it would be easiest for all of us to throw on leggings and an oversized sweatshirt in the two minutes we have before we have to run out the door, we don’t have to settle for the lazy look. Here’s a day by day guide we put together to showcase our fav outfits and to give you inspiration to help you maximize the options and outfits in your own closet.

Monday 

Monday blues

Although waking up at 9 AM on a Monday is not ideal, make it a little less torturing by putting on your favorite comfy outfit. Turtlenecks are great especially since they eliminate your need for a scarf and keep you warm and cozy in the lecture halls and rooms that seriously seem to have no heat. I paired this look with my favorite ripped skinnies and very well-loved slip on Vans to complete my monochromatic blue look.

Sleek blacks, whites & grays

Neutral colors are the way to go in all winter months. You can never go wrong with any kind of sweater, so this outfit is complete with a soft gray hip-length cardigan. Tie it together with a simple white tee, black jeans, and black booties. Bring in easy details by tying a knot in your tee and sporting rips at the knee.

Tuesday 

Neutrals, lace & a pink lip

By opting for a colored-pair of jeans instead of a plain blue pair is probably one of the easiest ways to switch up the looks in your closet. These army green jeans are the perfect color for this season and allow you to wear color without actually feeling like you are. To dress things up, I paired these jeans with a dainty lace long-sleeve, sleek gold flats and a cute pink lip!

Dressy, yet comfy 

This simple but adorable outfit is great for family parties, class, or anything in between. This can be done with any skirt and fitted long-sleeve, so I chose this front button maroon skirt and a textured gray long-sleeve. Tall boots with socks that match the shirt work perfectly, topped with a chunky necklace to balance everything out.

Wednesday 

Vests are the best 

Vest are my absolute favorite winter-essential. They allow you to add an extra layer of warmth without the bulk of a full on winter jacket. Since the vest is patterned, I decided to keep everything else in the outfit simple and cozy by wearing a pair of leggings (fleece-lined leggings will change your life in these cold months), a plain white v-neck tee, LLBean boots, and wool socks. Add a knit hat or ear warmer for style but mostly for warmth and you’re good to go!

Rustic, colorful vibes

For someone who dislikes anything too colorful, going for a more rustic look with subtle greens, reds and blues are my go-to. This one features a buttoned up flannel tucked into light ripped jeans. Strappy brown boots add to the natural feel. My staple, an army green jacket, adds and extra layer for both looks and warmth.

Thursday

Denim & a scarf

This is another super simple look. This outfit has three simple pieces, including the long-sleeve, jeans and riding boots. Put together any combination of those three pieces, top if off with a colorful scarf and this look is complete.

School pride & extra warmth 

Okay, I admit, it may look like I cheated on this one. However, this outfit shows how you can be comfy but still look stylish while repping your school. For these chilly December days in Syracuse, I’m stocked up on cute warm pullovers, orange wool socks, cozy moccasins, and thick head wraps. And of course, the orange pom-pom makes it perfect to get excited for a basketball game.

Friday 

Body-suit bliss 

Body-suits are one of this year’s latest trends. In stores, they range in terms of color and style so definitely go out and find one to be your Friday-night go to. It’s Friday so go a little out of your comfort zone and choose a body-suit with an intricate back detail or a plunging neckline. I always pair mine with my favorite pair of ripped black skinnies for a sleeker look. As for shoes, go for anything that is comfortable and not extremely valuable because let’s face it, no one really knows what gets spilled on frat house floors.

Knee-high heaven

All eyes will be on you… well, and the boots. Knee-highs are this season’s biggest hit and adding them to a Friday night outfit will go the extra mile. A simple, black dress and a thin stylish jacket to protect from the chill perfectly compliment these gray suede boots. Lastly, add a delicate chocker and your look is complete.

The Weekend 

The “I just woke up an hour ago even though it’s already 2 PM” outfit

You’d be surprised at the outfits you can put together with the clothes you already own. Mixing and matching clothes you’ve never thought to put together before can give you dozens of options for every day of the week and any situation.

Happy styling! XOXO Elizabeth (left) & Julia (right)

Syracuse University