Five things to do in ‘Cuse during the holiday season

Take advantage of these before finals szn kicks in

As’ Cuse students, we get a long winter break to celebrate the holidays with our families, but at this point our college friends are basically family, too. Here are five holiday activities you can do with you friends before you all leave each other for a month.

Holiday at Hendricks

There is no better way to start the holiday season than with music. As Buddy the elf said, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!” This Sunday (Dec. 4th), the Hendricks Chapel choir and the Syracuse University Brass Ensemble will have a holiday concert featuring some of your favorite holiday songs. The concert starts at 7:30pm (doors open at 6:30) and it is free to the public. This is definitely something everyone should check out to get into the holiday spirit and also support their fellow students

Clinton Square ice skating

Skating in Clinton square is one of the most popular winter activities to do in Syracuse. The city puts up a rink in Clinton square and decorates all the trees around it with pretty christmas lights to make it festive. Not only is it beautiful and the perfect Insta opportunity, but it is also cheap and easy to get to. This is a must on your holiday activities before winter break

Lights on the Lake

This two mile drive light show on lake Onondaga is also one of the top holiday activities to do in Syracuse! This show has millions of colorful lights, designs, and displays. Although you need a car, there are plenty opportunities to find zipcars around campus or find one of your friends with a car to drive you. Find your best friends, belt out to holiday songs, and drive through a beautiful light show.

Dickens Christmas in Skaneateles

Skaneateles is a town about 30 minutes away from Syracuse, and they go all out for Christmas. The entire town comes together to cast characters form the story A Christmas Carol to interact with visitors as they walk through the town and shop around. Not only do they have characters interact with you, but they also host events such as concerts, special lunches and dinners, and fun activities for kids. This is another activity you would need a car for, but it is definitely worth the trip. 

Ice Skating at Tennity

If you have a busy schedule and don’t have time to go to Clinton Square, you should definitely go skate at Tennity on South Campus. Not only is it on campus, but it is also cheap and fun. They have a Winter Wonderland event this Friday (Dec 2nd) from 9pm-12am. They will continue have free skate for the rest of the semester so it is definitely something everyone should check out.

Have fun making memories and celebrating the holidays with you college friends!

Syracuse University