How to plan the perfect Friendsgiving

Don’t just do it for the Insta

As I sit in my comfy bed in home, I can only help but think about all my great memories from high school with my friends. Although numerous parties, dinners, and dances come to mind, our favorite tradition is our annual Friendsgiving. I don’t mean to boast, but we throw a pretty fabulous Friendsgiving, so here are my tips for planning the best one yet.

Plan the date months ahead of Thanksgiving break

Find out when all your friends get home and make sure people put it in their calendars. Confirm the date multiple times to remind your friends, so there is no excuse for missing.

Plan a meal theme

Depending on your friend group’s style, you can do a few kinds of things. For my friend group, we tried to make it pretty traditional, but I listed some different kinds of meals you could organize, depending on your friends.

• Traditional: roasted chicken/turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, fruit, mac and cheese, etc.
  • Appetizers: Whether you want to make it low-key (chips and salsa, carrots and hummus, pretzels, etc) or spice things up a bit (bruschetta, rumaki, crudite, pate, etc.). Apps can definitely make it more fun and less filling.
  • Mexican: Quesadillas, tacos, guac, salsa, queso, chips, margs, etc.
  • Chinese: Your favorite orders from the classic Chinese take-out restaurant
  • BBQ: Burgers, hot dogs, brats, potato salad, fruit
  • Breakfast: Pancakes, waffles, topping bar, bacon, mimosas, oh my.
  • Pick your friends’ favorite foods and go from there!

Assign who is bringing what

Make a Google Doc. This is necessary.

Plan a fun activity

Every year, my friend group makes silly superlatives for each other, and we all vote on them a few weeks before. Then, one of us makes them into cute little awards, and it’s seriously so fun to see who gets what.

Write a toast

This year, we are trying to all make little speeches about our love for each other, but last year I started the tradition by writing a heart-felt speech. It sounds sappy, but hey, Friendsgiving is probably the most ‘lovey’ thing my friends and I do.

Wear a cute outfit for the cute pics

Because who knows the next time all of your friends will be together?

Make plans for after dinner.

My friend group makes the Friendsgiving dinner itself just for the girls, but after, we invite over all our guy friends for an even more amazing reunion.

MEMS.

My friends and I are all freshmen in college, so it will be interesting to hear stories from college, but even more, I am looking forward to reminiscing old times. I loved high school and I cannot wait to talk about some hilarious memories.
The organization and preparation can be stressful, but I know all my friends can testify that it is the best day of the year. If you don’t already do it, get your friends on board ASAP, and have a happy Friends/Thanksgiving!

Syracuse University