How to wear summer essentials in the fall

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but at least your wardrobe won’t be.

It is no question that the notable Upstate New York weather has quickly begun to kick in here at Syracuse University.  This means that the sun dresses and shorts you were probably wearing two weeks ago are being shoved into storage until summer rolls around next year.

But don’t pack away those essential summer pieces just yet! Summer trends can live on throughout the year; you just have to know how to combine the two seasons’ hottest trends to get away with it.  

Summer Colors 

Pinks and yellows are key staples for the summer seasons, but after labor day, these colors quickly fade from store windows and are replaced with more neutral tones. These summer hues, however, can add great pops of color to an edgy look.  

Contrary to the soft, feminine vibes that the colors often create, pairing a colorful jacket with an otherwise neutral outfit adds dimension, interest, and complexity. Accessorize with fall trends such as pom hats and blanket scarves.

Stray away from buying the mainstream black hat with a brown fur pompom. Instead, add color wherever you can by buying a hat with a colorful pom pom or a color blocked scarf.  

Summer Pieces: Off-the-Shoulder Tops

Off-the-shoulder is often thought to strictly be a summer style, something similar to floral dresses and white denim. But, you can still keep warm and be on trend with the season while baring your shoulders.  

Pair your favorite off-the-shoulder tops with high waisted ripped jeans and booties. Most importantly, add a blanket scarf to not only keep warm, but to also incorporate an essential fall piece with the summer mode. Just throw on a pom hat and apply a dark shade of lipstick, and your August attire is transformed.

Summer Trends: Lace-ups

Lace-ups have been a prominent trend over the past season, and looks like it is being transferred to the fall and spring. Instead of lace-up tees and tanks, add lace-up long sleeves and dresses to your closet’s collection.  

Dresses in fabrics such as velvet or thermal cotton are warm enough to wear as the temperatures drop, but are also extremely comfortable and chic. To make the outfit edgy, pair it with a leather jacket and over the knee boots. Also accessorize with fall’s trendiest prints, like cheetah print as shown above, by adding a bag to the look.

The change in seasons does not mean you have to blow a lot of money buying a new wardrobe. These closet hacks will help easily transform your favorite pieces from past seasons into on-trend outfits.

Syracuse University