Campus hotspot People’s Place is closed in protest of last night’s election results

‘We might have pumpkin spice coffee, but if we have senators riding on certain coattails, we won’t be open’ they tweeted early this morning

People’s Place, the hidden coffee shop in Hendrick’s Chapel renowned for its cheap coffee (and the only place to buy a Coke on campus), is closed today in protest of Donald Trump’s election.

People’s Place first announced their closing on Twitter at 1:48 AM this morning, and then confirmed they would be closed yet again six hours later.

This morning, a green sign was posted on the door that read “Spread the Love” in the center, along with a pen for others to add their own words to.

Some of the sayings written include “We must let our country revert- it may be a fight, but we must survive!” and “God help us <3” Others, however, were less optimistic, such as “United States of Hate now.”

Another sign was posted that reads, “People’s Place will be closed today to stand together with the loss of the 2016 presidential election. Please use the time and monkey you would have spend at P.P. [People’s Place] and put it to a greater food. Let’s fill the world with something better than hate. Thank you and with love- P.P.”

However you’re feeling regarding last night’s results, know that you’re not alone, and there are resources out there. As HRC said this morning, “Never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it.”

Syracuse University