Why I’m glad I didn’t go to a city school

There’s nothing like the hustle and bustle of a great city–but not for college

We can walk everywhere:

At most, my classes are a 10 minute walk from each other, and that’s when I’m feeling slow (which let’s be honest, is most of the time). I couldn’t imagine having to take a 15 minute subway to class, or a 20 minute bus ride! Plus, the walk to class counts as a workout, right?!

Lower Living Cost:

Nowadays, living in New York City as a 20-year-old is nearly impossible. It’s just too expensive! City universities also tend to be the most expensive schools in the country because the price of city real estate is astronomical. If you want to save a few (thousand) dollars, a city school may not be for you.

Easier to find your way:

Unfortunately, I was not blessed with the “inner GPS” gene so many people have, but thankfully, the ‘Cuse campus is easy to navigate, and there’s tons of signs and landmarks to help you find your way (so you probably won’t be that embarrassing student that gets lost on the way to a new class). Plus, most of the academic buildings surround the Quad so it’s pretty difficult to get lost between classes. Though let’s be honest, I was confused the first few freshman days trying to get from class to class, but that frosh confusion is a right of passage.

Photo taken from Chase Guttman’s drone video

Speaking of the Quad:

The best part of a closed suburban campus is the quad. Walk by the quad between classes on a sunny day and you’ll see students studying in the grass or clubs hosting events. We are able to watch the seasons change on the trees and watch the bizarre black squirrels unique to Syracuse. Most importantly, you can’t have “dogs on the quad” without a quad!

‘Cuse Community:

The surrounding community bleeds just as much orange as the student body does. That tight-knit familial sense that stems from being an Orange fan would be quickly lost in a city. In most city schools, that unique collegiate sense is gone. There’s a reason ‘Cuse was voted the #1 University for school spirit!

Cities Make You Grow Up:

Yes, we all mature in college (some quicker than others), but not really. City schools thrust you into adulthood, and frankly I’m not ready to be a real adult. Technically we are all legal adults, but the suburban Syracuse bubble gives us four more glorious years of semi-adulthood.

We all know Syracuse University is a little slice of heaven on Earth, and one main reason is it’s suburban location. So next time you walk through the Quad on your way to class, be thankful to be where we are.

Syracuse University