Syracuse junior victim of DeWitt homicide

Police officers responded Friday afternoon after gunshots were reported at the Springfield Garden Apartments

An email was sent out around midnight on October 1st to all SU students informing them that 23-year-old SU student Xiaopeng Yuan from Beijing, China had been killed. Yuan was a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, studying mathematics.

DeWitt police officers responded Friday afternoon after gunshots were reported at the Springfield Garden Apartments, an apartment complex located in DeWitt, at 16 Caton Drive. Yuan was found dead behind one of the buildings.

A black Chevrolet Camaro was found at the apartment complex, which belonged to Yuan according to the police. The card custom license plates reading “SWAG PIP”.

Police are still trying to find a motive behind the crime, and have not released any information in regard to potential suspects.

While this apartment complex has had a multitude of shootings, stabbings, and homicides over the years, this is the first time since 2004 that a Syracuse student has been the victim of homicide.

Syracuse University DPS is working with both the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, as well as with the DeWitt police. DPS officials have said they believe this to be an isolated crime, and thus poses no threat to SU students. A memorial for Yuan has not been announced as of yet.

Students seeking support can contact the Counseling Center, which is open 24/7, or the Office of Student Assistance, which is open Monday through Friday.

Syracuse University