There’s really no place like the Dome

Every reason the Carrier Dome is the best spot at SU

We all have our favorite spots on campus at Syracuse University. Some may love to be inside their dorm, snuggled up in their favorite blanket from back home, others may love walking Marshall St. (obviously stopping for Insomnia Cookies along the way) but for me and countless of other students, the Carrier Dome is the best spot SU’s got.

After all, there’s no place like the Dome. Here’s why:

Orange, orange and yes, more orange

If you don’t own too much ‘Cuse gear, do you actually even go here?

Inside the Dome, everyone, and I mean everyone decks out in SU gear. If you’re in the Dome cheering on ‘Cuse, you’re most likely wearing every piece of orange gear you’ve got, whether it be knee high socks covered in miniature Ottos, your favorite tee that you customized or a full on costume complete with an orange wig, cape and face paint (don’t lie, I know you have seen this guy at games too).

The Dome is the perfect spot to show our love for ‘Cuse and all things Otto so why not take advantage? Plus the selfies you can take with your roomie are unlimited when you’re both wearing a cute outfit.

The energy of the student section

Otto’s Army is no joke. The amount of school pride and an overwhelming feeling of togetherness that exists in the air and the hearts’ of students sitting in the student section is unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. It is as if each point displayed on the score board is a matter of life or death. No one cares if you scream too loud or embarrass yourself because everyone is doing the exact same thing. Win or lose, ‘Cuse students cheer, scream and rally until the very last second. (P.S. Those pom poms they put on the seats before every game are essential and can make each game you watch inside the Dome just a teeny tiny bit more fun).

Otto the Orange

Just look at his face, he’s adorable!

Otto is one of the best parts of attending ‘Cuse sport events. How could you not love a fluffy orange ball that runs into the Carrier Dome waving a flag with himself on it? There’s just something about Otto that makes everyone in the stands go wild. And if you see him walking around campus, you know you run up just to high-five him. Every single time. Not to mention, ESPN ranked him as the most unique mascot in the ACC. Score.

The unparalleled athletic teams

Ranging from football, to lacrosse and all the way to everyone’s favorite, basketball, each team plays at the highest collegiate level. After all, everyone loves to watch their team win again, again and again. Plus,  you didn’t spend $219 dollars on football and basketball season tickets for nothing.

The sound from in-between the columns

This is a picture of me jumping in between the columns and hearing “the noise” for the first time. Permission granted to laugh!

You all know what I’m talking about and if you do not, I suggest you visit the Carrier Dome soon to check it out. It may sound weird but just trust me on this. When you stand inside one of the columns outside the Dome and jump as high as you can, when you land you can hear a super cool noise that sounds like something out of a Sci-Fi movie. Best part is, only the person inside the column can hear the noise. So next time you walk by the Dome and see someone standing inside the columns, jumping up and down laughing their head off, odds are they’re just listening to the noise and are not actually crazy (hopefully)!

Syracuse University