Meet Dylan Carroll, the Syracuse senior with sick vocals

He’s preforming Friday night at the New York State Fair

Dylan Carroll is an English major and aspiring singer/songwriter. He started playing guitar in eighth grade and is currently signed by Marshall Street Records, a student run record label at SU. You can purchase his newly released E.P., White Noise on iTunes, and check out his melodic single, Fire on Spotify.

He’ll be preforming live at the New York State Fair on Friday September 2nd. You can find him at the Regional Artist Variety Stage at 8:30pm.

James Carroll

Dylan shared his advice for fellow musicians and gave insight on his musical journey.

How did you learn to play guitar?

My dad was a musician in college – he played and sang, so he got me into it and gave me my first guitar. He taught me a little bit on guitar before I started teaching myself.

What helped you get to this point in your singing career?

Marshall Street Records signed me and it was a huge help. The girl who signed me, Lauren Rojas-Castillo, helped me out a bunch. Though she recently graduated, she still gives me advice sometimes.

What is your song writing process?

I kind of get ideas for a concept before anything else and then I move onto the lyrics. Getting the tune is the hardest part.

James Carroll

Who is your favorite musician?

Gregory Alan Isakov, because I love the way he writes songs and his voice is really cool.

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to pursue a career in music?

Just keep practicing and play wherever you can. You can hone in your skills in your own bedroom by playing and singing, but you have to get used to preforming on  stage. Keep getting onstage even if it’s not a big crowd. I’ve had shows with two people in the audience and that happens, but you just have to get through it. That’s the career.

What would you like to say to the students at SU?

Come out to the fair on Friday. Even if it’s not to see me there’s other artists playing and it should be a great show.

Dylan plans to write and record another E.P. soon, and hopes to release a full album in the future. Until then enjoy listening to “White Noise”.

Syracuse University