Meet the sophomore who founded ‘Cuse’s own Trendy Tailgaters

Because who doesn’t love custom ‘Cuse apparel?

Communications Design sophomore Emily Osman combined her love of fashion and savvy graphic design skills to create an innovative business geared towards college students and sports fans alike.

Trendy Tailgaters creates customized apparel like bandeaus, overalls, and even phone cases, bottle openers, chokers, dorm room decor, and anything else you could possibly think of.

How did you get into graphic design?

I’ve had a love for art for as long as I can remember, and I’ve always been tech-savvy. When it was time to start thinking about what I wanted to pursue as a career, I knew that all I wanted was to have a job I can wake up for every morning and be excited about. Once I starting thinking about graphic design, I took computer-illustration and advertising classes in high school and fell in love with it. Last year, I started my own RedBubble account and started to create original, customized laptop stickers and artwork.

What made you create your own business?

During my freshman year at ‘Cuse, I learned how much I loved showing my school pride on game day. I was always on the lookout for Syracuse things that I had never seen before, but I never found anything completely unique. This got me thinking about all of the things that I wish I had with a Syracuse design on it, and inspired me to create Trendy Tailgaters.

Were you always into fashion? 

I have always tried my best to be as stylish and color-coordinated as possible. But, just as fashion is important to me, so is looking effortless and remaining comfortable. I love creating small accents for outfits using things like pockets and bralettes. The fact that I have always considered fashion an important part of my life has definitely influenced me in starting Trendy Tailgaters and the products I have created.

What do you hope to get out of your business/career?

I hope I can create identifiable products every college student wants to own. I would love to be at a ‘Cuse tailgate or game and see other Orange fans wearing my apparel and accessories or see photos of my home decor in dorm rooms at schools across the country.

What makes your products stand out among other competitors?

Every single item is custom ordered and made. You can request any design on any product. I make all of my own designs and then individually put them on my products. Also, there are so many different kinds of products I can make with college collages and other designs. If you don’t see what you’re looking for on my website, you can contact me and ask if a certain product is available and I’ll try my best to find what you’re looking for.

You also have apparel for men, which is rare in this industry. Why did you decide to target males?

I’m creating products for all sports fans to wear and enjoy, and I’m working to design innovative products that both male and female fans can show off their spirit.

Men can tailgate fashionably, too

How long does it take to make one of your products from start to finish?

It all depends on the item, but anywhere from a half hour to three hours.

For more info regarding Osman’s products and to purchase your own, visit Trendy Tailgaters’ new website.

Syracuse University