March Madness from the perspective of a Cuse cheerleader

The journey to The Final Four from the perspective of Syracuse cheerleader, Summer Thompson

One of the most exciting events in college basketball is happening right now, and luckily for Syracuse University – we are in the dead center of it. Syracuse Basketball’s success this year has been a bracket-busting surprise. The reaction of our success from Syracuse students was nothing short of epic.

We have danced, we have cried, and most importantly we have partied hard. While most Syracuse students are keeping up with the games at Chuck’s, other’s are receiving an even better view of the action right from the sidelines. Summer Thompson is a freshman CRS major who chose the perfect year to join the Syracuse cheerleading team.

Like the basketball players, Summer and her team get to be extremely involved in the whole March Madness experience from Sweet 16 to Final Four.

“(A typical March Madness game day) starts off by going to a tip-off pep rally, then we have an alumni event, then we take photos with fans” after that it’s game time.

“I have really enjoyed my Final Four experience this year. Thankfully, I have wonderful professors this semester who understand and have been really helpful with all my school work.”

Going from city to city for the game’s can be quite an experience. But, an issue that can definitely come up with March Madness is having to spend a majority time traveling and trying to balance school at the same. Luckily, for Summer, the teachers are understanding.

“My schedule right now is very demanding. I am taking a lot of classes in school and also doing an internship so right now I am just trying to manage cheer, school, and work. Fortunately, I really enjoy the challenge.”

“The best part of the March Madness experience is the traveling. I love being able to share this experience with my team and do things I might not normally do with my family.

“I also have been able to do fun things like tour Washington D.C. And enjoy authentic Mexican food in Texas.” said Summer.

At some points in the game, it can be difficult to keep the energy up. An example of a hard time for SU supporters was near the end of our game versus the Virginia Cavaliers. We were at a 15 point deficit with less than 10 minutes to spare. With odds like that, it could seem to those watching and playing that our time in March Madness was soon to be over. At a point like this in the game, the cheerleaders really play a crucial role. Actively keeping spirits high so our team has all the support it needs in order to come through in the end, is one of the many duties that the cheerleaders have in important games like this. Luckily, we have the best people on the job.

“We just try to keep the energy up and do lots of crowd chants and cheers. The Syracuse team has a tendency to really push in the last couple of minutes so we just try to give it our all.”

Syracuse University