Activists stage anti-Canada Goose protest on Marshall

They chanted ‘Canada Goose has blood on their hands’

A group of about 15 people were gathered in front of J Michaels Shoes on Marshall Street today holding signs and pictures of animal cruelty in protest of Canada Goose Jackets.

Protesters lined up against the store’s windows and along the sidewalk to chant, “Canada Goose has blood on their hands.” They handed out flyers to pedestrians which contained images of animal cruelty. Some of the protestors were associated with the organization PETA, which stands for “cruelty-free clothing.”

The Tab talked to Peter Riemers, a sophomore at SU, who works in retail at J Michaels. He showed us their Canada Goose section and let us take pictures of the tags from the jackets.

The tag writes, “We strongly support the ethical, responsible and sustainable use of fur. Our furs come from Canada, where the fur trade is strictly regulated by government wildlife authorities.”

Peter said that the jackets are one of the hottest items in the store especially because they’re considered the warmest jackets on the planet. He said, “This is a small business so it feels like an attack on the store. They should be contacting the Canada Goose headquarters.”

He also mentioned that they had gotten complaints from the protestors before but this was the first time that they’ve been outside chanting and holding up signs.

Peter also learned that all of the stores on Marshall Street own the porches of their stores and that his boss was on his way to the store to talk to the protestors. Some of the protestors were standing in front of the J Michaels door and the one of the managers told them to not block customers from entering and exiting the store.

Syracuse University