SU confirms identity of student who died unexpectedly in Walnut Hall

Britny Kabic was a student in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

A student died unexpectedly in Walnut Hall last night.

Police were spotted outside Walnut Hall earlier today. Shortly following the police presence, all roads surrounding Walnut were blocked off as well as the third floor.

The Syracuse Police Department as well as Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety were both on the scene investigating but would not comment on the incident.

About an hour after the police showed up, Chief Bobby Maldonado released a statement regarding the unexpected death of an SU student.

He said: “A Syracuse University student passed away unexpectedly last night. The Department of Public Safety and the Syracuse Police Department are working together to investigate this death, which is not being treated as a criminal matter.

“We will provide more information to the campus community as soon as we are able to notify the family.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the student’s family and friends.”

Around 4:15pm the Senior Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs, Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, emailed the student body confirming the identity of female student Britny Kabic.

“Our thoughts are with all of those grieving this terrible loss.”

Britny was a student in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications from Hatboro, Pennsylvania.

“This is a time of great sorrow for the entire University community.”

She urges students seeking support to contact the Counseling Center at 315-443-4715.

Syracuse University