Dressember is here: We need your help to make a difference

Help your fellow ‘Cuse students stop human sex trafficking

A group of female students are encouraging Syracuse students to donate money to help women who are affected by human trafficking.

They decided to bring the cause, Dressember, to Syracuse after Stephanie Bronfein, a senior in the Bandier Program, along with ten of her friends took on the task of wearing a dress every day in December.

The funds from Dressember will be distributed between two different organizations, IJM and A21. Both of which are working towards rescue missions and recovery programs for the victims of human trafficking.

Sophomore Chloe Doherty started to get involved with the campaign because she believes every time you wear a dress you are “fighting for the restoration of dignity for all women.” She believes her voice matters in advocating for the teenage victims who fall into the sex trade, most of whom fall between twelve and fourteen years old. “There is a fire in my heart that burns for these girls’ freedom.”

Another sophomore, Abby Rose Sugnet, argues Dressember is a cause that will save people from the misery of slavery. The motivation to wear a dress comes from the thought of littles girls who need to be saved from sex trafficking. She told The Tab, “I wish I could give them everything I own.”

Stephanie Bronfein, Syracuse senior

Stephanie Bronfein, the senior driving Dressember to Syracuse, got involved after hearing about the cause earlier in the semester. “Talking about human trafficking really made my skin crawl. I find it to be one the most appalling tragedies.” Her family in the Philippines is her inspiration to continue growing Dressember. Stephanie explained how the sex trafficking culture in the Philippines is enormous and Dressember gave her a chance to stick up for people and do something about it.

The professors of the Syracuse community have spread awareness of the cause and have helped Stephanie raise $5,075.

Dressember began December 1st and ends December 31st.

The description on the official website reads: “Dressember uses fashion to advocate for women who’ve been exploited for their femininity. As women take on the creative challenge of wearing a dress for the 31 days of December, they are advocating for the inherent dignity of all women.”

This holiday season, keep in mind that for some this is not a joyous occasion. Help those who cannot speak for themselves and donate.

To find out more about Dressember watch this Ted Talk:

Syracuse University