How to smoke on a ‘smoke-free’ campus

This is how you get away with it

As the semester comes to a close, Syracuse University will complete its first term as a smoke and tobacco-free campus. The ban extends from cigarettes to chewing tobacco, leaving us in a nicotine-free zone.

This new mandate was a part of the school’s push for a healthier environment on campus. Many members of the community are pleased with the new regulation, but some smokers feel they are getting the short end of the stick.

‘Proud to be a tobacco- and smoke-free campus’

Last week I ventured out, in hopes to catch someone breaking this rule. I asked how the University’s decision has affected them.

Around 11 o’clock at night, outside of Bird Library, I met “Bobo”. He was taking a study break to have a few puffs. He declined to share his real identity because “the feds know my name.”

Whether he was serious or not, anyone found violating the policy may be subject to disciplinary action. Bobo says he hasn’t been caught yet, and that he despises the new law. He believes he should be able to “smoke a dart” anywhere he wants.

In fact, there are many people with this mindset, and regardless of the school’s policies, people are still smoking. Since there aren’t any designated areas for people who still want to light up around campus, smokers are still smoking just about anywhere else.

What makes it even more challenging to get your buzz, is that Syracuse also bans vaporizes and electronic cigarettes.

Do they expect everyone to simply quit smoking? I guess if anyone can put the “cold” in cold turkey, it’s definitely Syracuse.

But when it’s too cold to smoke outside, make sure you don’t set off the fire alarm…

‘Cuse wants to improve our campus and school in any way they can. Respecting the rules is a great way to contribute towards a healthier environment for the entire community.

So I dare ask the age-old question: if you can rip a cig without anyone seeing, did you really rip a cig?

And if you do get caught, I suggest playing the Newhouse card, and telling the cops you were simply filming a project.

Be safe out there and if you get lost follow me @obeeezie.

Syracuse University