Syracuse wins Battle 4 Atlantis tournament

They knocked off two top 25 teams, including Uconn

In case you somehow missed Syracuse’s epic performance in the tournament, here’s a recap.

Syracuse was very impressive during the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament. The Orange went 3-0 this week and knocked off two top 25 teams to win the tournament.

During the first game, Syracuse hit 14 three pointers and cruised to a 83-70 win over UNC Charlotte. In the semi-finals against an old Big East rival, Syracuse overcame a 10 point deficit to defeat #18 UConn 79-76. In the Championship game, Syracuse used a late second half run to defeat Texas A&M 74-67.

The championship game was heated. Texas A&M guard Anthony Collins was assessed a flagrant foul in the second half for this collision with Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson.

Here are a few takeaways from the tournament:

‘Cuse killed it with three-point shooting

In its three games during the tournament, Syracuse made 34 three pointers while shooting at least 44% from the three point line in each game. Syracuse has a much better perimeter shooting team this year.

Last year, Syracuse really struggled from the three-point line. During the 2014-2015 campaign, Syracuse shot just 30% from three point range (tied for 322 nationally) and made just five three point shots per game (tied for 294 nationally).

This year Syracuse possesses four capable three-point shooters. In the tournament, Michael Gbinije made 12 three pointers, Malachi Richardson made eight three pointers, and Trevor Cooney and Tyler Lydon both made seven three pointers. When all four players are on the floor at the same time, Syracuse is extremely difficult to guard.

Tyler Lydon is The Man

While Malachi Richardson was the highest rated Syracuse freshman coming into the year, Tyler Lydon has been the best SU freshman so far this season.

During the three games of the tournament, Lydon averaged 15.7 points per game and 9.3 rebounds per game. He also showed the ability to protect the rim when he registered six blocks against UNC Charlotte.

After its win over UConn, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said, “Tyler Lydon’s done an unbelievable job. In the middle of the defense and offensively, he sees plays that nobody sees.”

Tyler Lydon attempting a three pointer against UConn. He finished the game with 16 points and 12 rebounds

Depth will hold Syracuse back

Syracuse got little bench production throughout the tournament. Other than Tyler Lydon, no other player off the bench scored for the Orange. Syracuse needs more production from reserve guards Kaleb Joseph and Franklin Howard to take some pressure off of Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije. If Cooney or Gbinije get into foul trouble or have a bad shooting night in future games, Syracuse will be in trouble.

Go buy season tickets if you haven’t already, it looks like this year ‘Cuse basketball games are not going to disappoint.

Syracuse University