How to get around with Biden on campus

Members of the Secret Service have been checking out Schine for days

In case you’ve been living under a rock for a bit and don’t know, Vice President Joe Biden is on campus today.

It’s pretty exciting, but for anyone not attending (aka anyone who didn’t start camping out at 7.30am on Tuesday to get tickets), it just means we’re not going to be able to park anywhere. Or possibly even walk anywhere.

Lucky for you, The Tab’s got the lowdown on places to avoid. And places you’ll be forced to avoid.

First of all, don’t go to Schine. Just don’t even try.

While Biden may only be in the auditorium, between him, the Secret Service, and the supposedly airport-like security, it’s probably going to take you an hour to just get in the door. Think JFK or LAX long security lines.

And, as the SU Parking and Transit Service Website says: “Expect traffic delays due to the Vice Presidential visit”.

SU Parking and Transit Services Website

Waverly (the street behind Bird Library for those of us who never know which street is which), will be closed from 10.45-2pm for vehicular traffic. And, let’s face it, probably pedestrian traffic too. The Campus Corridor can’t even drive on it, so during those hours it will be rerouted through Irving Avenue instead of University Avenue on its return trips.

As far as parking lots, it looks like Quad 1 will be back open today, and none will be shut.

Booth and Irving will still also have the option for the public to pay to park. However, a lot of the announcements regarding Biden’s visit have been very last minute for security purposes, so last minute closures unfortunately cannot be ruled out.

Never fear though, The Tab will update you throughout the day as more information is known.

Updates:

DPS cars are also parked along the street in front of the Schine Student Center.

The Syracuse police department is controlling the Comstock intersection by Ernie Davis.

SU Parking and Transit Services Twitter

Syracuse University