Syracuse is a food wasteland

College makes you miss home cooking as it is, but what about when theres no other viable options?

If only I would have known Syracuse University was a food wasteland when I came here.

As a freshman, the lack of healthy, or even decent, options is dispiriting.

The dining halls consist of always changing oily food, pizza with congealed cheese, and slightly browned lettuce with the occasional bug.

The oily “freshly made” food makes you feel like you just consumed a stick of butter.

However, the pizza is still one of the safest choices considering the sub-par taste is at least consistent.

The only truly healthy option is to make your own salad, but even then the quality of the fruits and vegetables is unpredictable. Even if you eat salad on a daily basis, rabbit food gets real old quickly.

The face says it all…

Who wants to eat this rabbit food? NOT ME

Your other options on campus are the open late food courts.

They are always available, which is convenient during a late night study session, but they charge you a ridiculous amount for the same food that you get in the dining hall.

That pizza with the congealed cheese that I referenced is $3 dollars a slice there.

$3 FOR THIS?!

Unfortunately, your off-campus choices are limited as well.

Marshall Street supplies you with Starbucks, Chipotle, Pita Pit, and many pizzerias for when you need that drunken slice at 2am.

Starbucks is great for coffee, of course, but unless you are trying to survive off blueberry scones Starbucks will not equip you with a nourishing meal.

Chipotle is one of the few places that is actually enjoyable. Their meals range from approximately 600-1000 calories which are a healthier alternative, and I’ve found that burrito bowl will usually allow me two meals.

Pita Pit is also good in my opinion, there meals range from 300 – 600 calories. Although Pita Pit is technically healthier than Chipotle, but is overpriced in my broke college student opinion.

For the pizzerias, I don’t want to know the calorie count, my drunken self will thank me later.

Heaven does exist

The wasteland does have an oasis.

Chipotle is the healthiest and tastiest with the best value in my personal opinion.

Of course, if you’re an upperclassman you could always cook for yourself if you have a kitchen –  then again, we’re in college, I forgot, so who cares what we shove in our mouths?

Happy eating.

Syracuse University