Frats and sororities shouldn’t be lobbying for a new sexual assault law

We spoke to students about the controversial Safe Campus Act

The issue of sexual assault on university campuses is a contentious question across the nation.

There has been heated debate about how much evidence should be required to prosecute a sexual assault case, and whether universities are capable of conducting fair investigations.

And now congressmen are weighing in.

The Safe Campus Act, a bill introduced to Congress by three Republicans and supported by national fraternity and sorority groups,  would prohibit universities from taking action on assault unless the case is presented to the police.

Last week, Democratic senator Claire McCaskill attacked the bill, and the lobbying being done by greek life organizations, saying: “For me, it almost felt personal because I was in a sorority.”

Sexual Assault protest at Columbia University

Despite its name, the Safe Campus Act will not make college campuses safer.

There are student victims who would rather seek comfort and justice in the university system than taking their cases to the police.

In fact, a report of the U.S. Department of Justice shows from 1995 to 2013, 80 percent of female rape and sexual assault victims from the ages of 18 to 24 decided not to report their cases to the police.

Dominique Alvarado, a junior Information Management and Technology major, told The Tab, “I think the police, especially right now, can overlook a lot of issues. There is a lot of controversy of what is considered sexual assault in our society, and I think it’s the job of universities to maintain safe campuses.

“If a student doesn’t wish to have the police involved, then universities should absolutely be able to take the necessary procedures and move forward with a specific protocol in order for their students to remain safe.”

Dominique Alvarado giving us her opinion on the Safe Campus Act

Certain sorority and fraternity houses around the country are supporting the bill by hiring lobbyists to speed up the discussion in Congress.

Presumably, the frats and sororities intention is to receive protection.

But not all fraternity men and sorority women support this legislation. If frats and sororities really want to do something productive and meaningful, perhaps they should dedicate their raised money in the fight against sexual violence, instead of looking for means of protection.

Another student told The Tab how he felt about this debate, “I think [victims] should go straight to the police. I think the university should be informed and be in the conversation but I think that the punishment should ultimately come from the police. If it was only taken to the university that’s not enough.”

The legal system may have means to develop a more substantial investigation and perhaps determine a faster response for the victim.

A Greek Life member told the Tab, “sometimes girls just want to destroy the lives of boys.” Indeed, accusations might not always be real, and they’re able to destroy reputations and futures.

William Kirsch discussing his views on the Safe Campus Act

William Kirsch, a freshman Communication and Rhetorical Studies major, gave us a thoughtful opinion, “I absolutely believe that universities should be able to punish students who are accused of sexual assault. However, I feel that they should be found guilty first or there should be at least some evidence verifying the claim. Universities should have the right to administer any form of discipline to its students.”

He went on: “A friend [of mine] decided to, after being sexually assaulted, pursue justice through the university.  She felt that through the legal system she would not have been given the adequate justice she was looking for. So I feel universities should have full range of authority.”

“I would disagree with the Safe Campus Act, universities should have jurisdiction over what happens in their campuses. The police should too, but with that being said, forbidding universities to punish certain students for obviously heinous crimes is wrong and it serves as a disadvantage to many victims.”

Ultimately the Safe Campus Act only limits universities’ capacities.

It is important for colleges to have clear procedures and strict protocols when managing a sexual assault case to ensure a thorough investigation. All claims must be verified with clear evidence.

That being said, colleges and universities need to do their own investigations because it’s under their jurisdictions where sexual assault encounters happen. At the end of the day, victims should be the ones to decide where to go, and the Safe Campus Act will deny that right.

Syracuse University