Syracuse students reveal their real booze and weed habits

‘I can go through a couple grams’

Everyone knows one of these people at Syracuse: the stoniest of stoners who is always high, has an impressive collection of paraphernalia, and is probably pretty in to Phish.

Or the person that goes out and get blackout drunk no matter if it’s weekday, weekend, day or night.

But whether you prefer your little green friend or some liquid courage, nether group tends to be totally open about exactly how much they consume, what it does to them, and how much their habit costs.

I sat down with three habitual tokers and three habitual bingers who were self aware enough to admit they have a little bit of a problem.

Rolland B. Lunt, Connor Abis, and Marie Jane are our stoners. Buddy Weiser, Brandy Jack, and Jaqueline Daniels are our drinkers (*their names have been changed for this article).

How often do you drink/smoke?

Rolland B. Lunt, Sophomore: “I smoke twice a day at least”

Buddy Weiser, Senior: “I drink pretty much strictly during the weekend: Thursday/Friday/Saturday.”

Connor Abis, Junior: “I smoke probably about 5 days a week.”

Brandy Jack, Senior: “I drank 5 days a week this summer.”

Marie Jane, Junior: “If I have the means, I smoke every day.”

Jaqueline Daniels, Junior: “I drink 4 times a week.”

How much do you drink/smoke in one sitting usually?

Rolland B. Lunt: “Three bowls, sometimes more if I have more. I can go through a couple grams if I’m just smoking with my best friend.”

Brandy Jack: “I’m a waitress so I’d have three before work then after work I would go out with my friends and have like 4 drinks.”

Jaqueline Daniels: “A lot. If I’m drinking wine I can kill a bottle by myself. If I’m drinking vodka I drink about 6 or 7 shots then one or two beers. If I’m drinking just beer I drink about 8.”

Marie Jane: “As much as it takes to get me high enough to be relaxed and happy. Probably almost a gram if I’m with friends. About half a gram when alone.”

How much would you say you spend on weed or alcohol weekly?

Connor Abis: “I buy about an eighth every 10 days so it probably averages out to about 50 or 100 dollars a week.”

Brandy Jack: “A lot. I probably spend like 15 dollars a week at the liquor store then 10 dollars for drinks when I go out along with the 5 dollar cover. So in the end it’d probably be about 120 dollars a week.”

Do you think smoking/drinking has had an effect on your body? What about your mind?

Brandy Jack: “Yeah I do. I would not want to wake up and be really sluggish. I would not go to the gym before work. It brought much more drama in to my life because I would always see the same people at the bars too. It made it much harder to take care of myself.”

Marie Jane: “I’ll admit smoking a lot has made me feel a little stupider. My brain isn’t as quick as it used to be. But despite having really intense munchies when I’m high, I’ve actually lost a lot of weight from smoking, because I have less of an appetite when sober.”

Not to get too deep but do you know why you smoke/drink?

Rolland B. Lunt: “Because I’m stressed out a lot and I have anxiety problems and it helps me relax. It’s nice to be able to come home from a stressful day and just smoke so I don’t worry about all the things that are constantly nagging at me.”

Buddy Weiser: “Eek, big question. I think it started in freshman year in part because I thought it’s what I was supposed to be doing. It was a part of the college experience. And then I started liking who I was when I was drunk. I didn’t worry, I was fearless, I was approachable, I was fun! Drunk me is a great time.”

Connor Abis: “Partly for something to do to fill time and partly because it’s fun. It’s kind of just become something I do all the time.”

Brandy Jack: “My dad recently passed away and I started to drink a little just to take the edge off. I would either not drink at all just because I wouldn’t want to get emotional or just drink to get a relief. It’s also just a social thing for me.”

Marie Jane: “Because being high is fucking awesome.”

Syracuse University syracuse syracuse drinking