Campus coffees: rated

It’s midterm season, brace yourself

It’s about that time of the year when we are all starting to stress about midterms.

We face constant studying sessions, lengthy essays on topics we have barely discussed in class, and exams on textbooks we haven’t been reading every week.

We all find ourselves grabbing an extra cup of coffee to keep ourselves functioning all day long. I personally fall into the category of needing to get an extra cup of coffee throughout the day to give me a boost.

If you’re anything like me, you probably don’t want to spend much time in a line, or worse, ending up with a cup of coffee that tastes like the barista vomited in a cup.

I took it upon myself to hit up some popular coffee spots on campus to tell you where the best cup of joe is, how long it took me to get it, and the atmosphere of the venue (if you even have time to enjoy it).

Club Bird

Taste: 6. I’m no expert but the coffee was not the best tasting brew I’ve ever had.  That being said, I gulped down the 16oz happily.
Time In Line: 10. Despite going during a pretty popular hour, there was no line.  I said my order and the coffee was in my hand 4 seconds later.
Atmosphere: 8. Bird is a great place to go and get work done, if you’re looking to study while you get caffeinated, this is a good option.

TOTAL: 8

People’s Place

Taste: 10.  The coffee is delicious for only costing $1.25.  I would recommend it to anyone.
Time In Line:  8.  A little less than two minutes.  There was only one person in front of me, but they were taking a while to order.
Atmosphere: 7.  The people are super friendly and the kind you would expect for coffee shop workers.  On the downside, there aren’t really places to sit and get work done, except for some chapel pews.

TOTAL: 8.3

Starbucks

Taste8.  A basic coffee from Starbucks isn’t that spectacular.  It is in no way bad, but it could be better.  They do offer many more options than the other spots to spice up your order, if that’s what you’re into.
Time In Line: 4.  I spent a little under 7 minutes in line, which is a pretty long time for just a black coffee.  While in line I saw a pamphlet about ordering through the Starbucks app and picking it up in person.  This seems like a very good option if you’re in a hurry.
Atmosphere: 6.  There are always a lot of people there and it is hard to find a place to sit.  It is more of a place to go and hang out with friends than pick up a cup on your way to the next class.

TOTAL: 6

Schine

Taste: 7.  The cup from the Dunkin in Schine is alright.  Definitely not the best brew I’ve ever had, but not the worst.
Time In Line: 8.  It only took me 2 minutes to get my coffee and pay.  Of course, more complicated drinks warrant more time, but this wasn’t bad seeing that it was kind of crowded.
Atmosphere: 7.  There is a lot going on in Schine and not really many places to sit in the little dining area.  However, it’s a great place to grab a quick coffee and snack in between classes as it is pretty close of many of the buildings.

TOTAL: 7.4

Vibe wise some places stood out more than others with cool sitting areas and super nice baristas. Going for taste alone, I would suggest heading over to People’s Place.  If you need a cup to get you through the next couple hours of studying, head over to Bird and grab a cup in the cafe before getting to work.

Keep the coffee game strong and good luck with midterms.

Syracuse University