The endless debate of more guns v less guns

#CocksNotGlocks

With the myriad of shootings that have peppered the headlines in the recent years, and even our own recent Orange Alert, gun control has been a hot button topic.

Many people feel having more guns is the universal answer, with some states, such as Texas, passing laws to push for more guns in public spaces.

Most notably, Texas passed a Campus Carry bill over the summer that allows students to openly carry their weapons to class and around campus whenever, and however, they please.

They even added a clause limiting the questions campus police are allowed to ask those who carry. For example, the police can ask to verify the owner has a gun permit, but they can’t ask questions like “Why do you feel the need to carry a very dangerous weapon with you to class and around are campus? Do you not feel safe here?”

A student carries a hot pink dildo with her in protest

The new policy has been met with some resistance, from long term, widely loved professors resigning, to the #CocksNotGlocks movement started by Jessica Jin, a student at UT Austin. Unfortunately within days of starting her Campus (DILDO) Carry movement, she started receiving death threats.

But how would students feel about having Campus Carry here in the Empire State? The answer seems to be a resounding “NO.”

“I would be terrified if students could carry around guns,” said one senior.

A sophomore agreed stating, “I think having guns on campus automatically stigmatizes the environment as unsafe…it sort of makes it seem like the police can’t do/aren’t doing their job effectively. Regular people having guns makes it seem like violence is an effective problem solving technique when it’s not. ”

Another SU senior pointed out, “…a university is and should be a place of learning…guns should not be present at a place where our focus should be on our future.”

“I feel like drunk college students and guns could potentially be a bad combination,” joked a sophomore.

Drunk kids and guns was definitely a huge reason against Campus Carry, especially with our reputation of being such a party school.

“I feel like if students have guns then it’s kind of like promoting more violence. I feel like if students got into a fight, especially drunk, especially at the bars, it would not be a good outcome and people would be pulling out guns. I believe people should have guns if they so please, but guns on campus just seems scary,” one senior told The Tab.

A frustrated junior pointed out, “Syracuse specifically is known to be a party school. There are people drinking almost every day of the week and especially on the weekends. Giving drunk college kids guns is asking for things to go wrong. Suddenly bar brawls turn into gun fights and girls take drunken cat calls as a reason to use their gun.”

While some had shorter thoughts on the idea, some had very strong, very thought out opinions.

One junior listed off their concerns, “1. Guns are a last resort to protection. Most of the “dangers” on our campus aren’t severe enough that you should need a gun. I think that if everybody carried guns, anytime anyone felt threatened, they would pull out a gun.

“2. It would make it easier for gun related incidents to occur. Someone contemplating using a gun to harm his/herself or someone else wouldn’t have to go through channels that could prevent them from wrongly using a gun, they could just reach for their own or take a friend’s.”

When asked if professors should be required to have a gun in their desk in the event of a school shooter, the answer was once again a no.

“I don’t think professors should have guns in their desks. Honestly, people who are bringing guns to school aren’t thinking rationally to begin with, a professor having a gun isn’t going to deter them. It may even make matters worse, as the person would feel threatened,” said one SU junior.

“Guns should not be stationed in classrooms because of the risk that would then be present for every student that entered said classroom,” agreed another junior.

And as far as more guns or less guns being more effective? Less guns.

“Less guns are the answer or those who get access to guns should be regulated more with a harder process just because I believe people are abusing their right,” stated one senior.

An incredulous junior asked the Tab, “…you shouldn’t fight violence with more violence. When has that ever been the answer?!”

One junior summed her opinion up quite well with “Definitely less guns. ”

As far away as Texas may seem, Campus Carry could affect us to. If you too stand with Jessica Jin, on August 24, 2016, march around campus proudly with your dildo. Unlike at UT, SU won’t fine you up to $500. Probably.

Syracuse University