There was a testicle-themed charity concert called ‘Cockapella’ this weekend

Using the power of song to raise money for your balls

For men, testicles are sacred.

When I was 10, my sister kicked me so hard down there I went to the ER. First diagnosis: they would had to take my nuts out. Luckily it was just a minor testicular torsion, so my two friends are still hanging in there. The moral of the story: don’t mess up with your little sister. The truth is, after that incident I started to value my testicles a lot, and at the Otto Tunes a cappella concert on Saturday night, something stuck with me.

Did you know college-age dudes are highly vulnerable to Testicular Cancer? Honestly, I didn’t know people my age were at this high level of risk. We usually get our prostate exams when were forty.

Otto Tunes put together an awesome show dedicated specifically to raise awareness and fundraise for the fight against Testicular Cancer.

The orange-pant fellows rocked the stage with a spectacular repertoire, sweet harmonies, and shared the stage with their guests SU’s Orange Appeal and the Buffalo Chips from the University of Buffalo.

The concert was cleverly coined, Cockappella.

Behold…the Otto Tunes

Chris Pino, a member of Otto Tunes told The Tab, “This show is our Testicular Cancer Foundation Benefit Concert. This cancer is very prevalent in men from 15 to 35, so that’s right around where we stand as college students, so we want to spread awareness to save lives.

“This is our third Annual Testicular Cancer Foundation Concert. It started of as an idea and it just kind of grew year after year into some bigger and bigger, and this year we had a cancer survivor to speak with the audience, which was really special. Hopefully it will just keep growing from here.”

The Tab asked Chris if he had any advice to give to other guys on this issue, “Please, please, please when you’re in the shower just check yourselves, it doesn’t matter when you do it, just go and check yourselves because you never know what could happen. Please. And spread awareness.”

Kevin Brennan, another member in Otto Tunes told us about his experience with the group.

“Since I started college it’s been the highlight and I can’t imagine doing anything different. I’m so glad I’ve joined. I did a cappella in high school but to this caliber…this is my first a cappella event in college, my mind is exploding.”

When asked about the event fundraising for Testicular Cancer Kevin replied, “It’s unbelievable. Putting ourselves out there and helping those who need to be heard and want to be heard, I think it’s a great cause.”

Otto Tunes members Chris Pino and Kevin Brennan

The Tab talked with two audience members to get their reactions on the performance and the cause.

Gaby, a junior Environment and Interior Design major, said: “I thought it was beautiful, it was really nice to see the all-men a cappella groups of SU come together and support a cause that affects kids in their age range.”

Paul, a junior Broadcast and Digital Journalism major, agreed: “I thought it was awesome. It’s rare that you see an event for Testicular Cancer, and I think is such a cool thing they’re able to bring awareness to something that is really not talked about. What this event does is so great for the community.”

Otto Tunes received countless donations through purchases of raffle tickets and CD’s.

All together the a cappella group raise over $2,000 from Cockapella.

IMPORTANT ADVICE FOR ALL MEN IN THE SYRACUSE COMMUNITY

The key as always is early detection, so when you’re in the shower go ahead and check your testicles, cause you might be saving your life there.

Full Disclosure: First thing I did the day after the show was checking my cojones in the shower. Because the jewels of the family are not a joke, check how you should do the self-exam.

Syracuse University