Kenan Thompson’s visit was a disaster

UU is losing its credibility

University Union’s performance is going downhill. With divided Juice Jam opinions and a short-time Kenan Thompson show, UU needs to step it up if it wants to maintain its reputation.

Kenan Thompson’s performance from two weeks ago was so bad I felt I had to write about the reason of my opinion. And yes, it’s been a while since the show…but you really want to miss what I’m about to say? You don’t.

Before the show people were waiting two hours for the door’s to open, I was willing to take a first row seat whatever the cost. Kenan Thompson was one of my childhood’s idols, not meaning to get too sentimental here. I remember watching Kenan and Kel for hours and hours, and who doesn’t love his Saturday Night Live skits? Plus, I’m a fan of stand up comedy, so my excitement that day was through the roof. So I sat my ass down on the Schine Atrium floor and killed time Snapchatting away waiting for the doors to open.

People waiting hours before the show

When Kenan came on stage he received an overwhelming cheer. His opening jokes were entertaining and got the crowd warmed up. My favorite was when he joked with the ASL translator, which was a nice/kind touch.

But then it kind of shifted downwards. Kenan began to talk about his childhood, his weed moments, how Amanda Bynes wasn’t nearly as successful as he was, how he became the man he is today.  People weren’t there to hear about his life, they wanted fun not a story.

After a half an hour, a University Union girl came out and started “interviewing” Kenan.

I was like okay great, they’ll pass the microphone around and I was prepared to ask some cool hysterical questions because, duh, I work for The Tab.

To my surprise, they had Twitter questions prepared. I was PISSED OFF.

Their excuse was when Adam DeVine came last semester, the open mic became a mess. I was there, and it wasn’t. During Adam Levine’s performance people asked funny questions and made cool comments that actually contributed to the overall show.

Deny, a super busy Pre-Pharmacy student, managed to fit this show into her hectic schedule. She “expected more fun from Kenan and a longer show. The girl that did the interviews was a mood killer. Plus UU advertised they were going to take questions from the public.” #DeceivingAdvertising

Daisia Glover felt UU had a lack of organization which gave a bad name to Syracuse. She argued that if we wanted to host someone from SNL or any comedian in the future, Kenan might say “Oh that school is so unorganized don’t go there.”

University Union took the essence of the entire comedic-good-feeling away. Honestly I think the girl was just trying to fulfill some sort of talk show host-dream or something.  Keep working on it…

I was praying for those depressing ten minutes to go away so Kenan could continue his performance.

Guess what, surprise again: The show was over. OVER.

Everyone was like “is that it…” I couldn’t believe it until I saw the after show stampede. The show was way too short and on top of that, it was family weekend, so parents from all over the country and abroad were part of this now disappointed audience.

Natalie Butler was one of the students who brought her mom to see Kenan Thompson’s performance. She thought Kenan was going to be doing a legitimate comedy not reciting his autobiography. She also complained about the way the show was organized. “It didn’t flow as I would have expected it to because of the interview aspect of it. Plus my mom came for the weekend, and non-SU students had to pay $15.00 to see this.” #NotCool.

Is this what we can expect from UU now? A forty-five minute show, restricted by their own regulations?

I don’t know the reason behind the short time period, but if you’re going to do an interview at least make it interesting and open next time, because we love to participate, just like in class (LOL).

Syracuse University