If you told yourself you were good enough, would you believe it?

An Alpha Gamma Delta senior is campaigning to improve self-esteem

Before you finish reading this article I want you to go find a mirror and stand in front of it and look yourself dead in the eyes.

Tell your reflection that you are enough. That you are perfect just the way you are, and that there isn’t a single thing about yourself that needs to change.

Did you believe yourself?

The answer to that question tends to be a resounding no. Good thing senior Sara Eckhart doesn’t take no for an answer.

Sara with the “I Am Enough” poster.

With her “I Am Enough” campaign, Eckhart is determined to have everyone answer yes, I am enough.

The goal of “I Am Enough” is to encourage self empowerment in college age women, and remind them they are perfect just the way they are, regardless of societal pressures.

After watching Brené Brown’s TED Talk titled The Power of Vulnerability, about how not feeling like enough makes people afraid to be vulnerable, Eckhart was inspired to start a movement.

Eckhart says: “It just started as a small presentation to my Alpha Gam sisters during recruitment, but they encouraged me to make it bigger and spread the message.”

Now in its second year, the “I Am Enough” campaign will have a weeklong curriculum focusing on hookup culture, the importance of close female friendships, relationship violence, and self-esteem.

Eckhart revealed to The Tab that two guest speakers have been invited to come and speak to the campus this year, one of whom is a social researcher and comedienne.

Along with these speakers, the movement will table in Schine where you can come by and learn more about it, as well as take a photo with the “I Am Enough” poster. Last year, in the movements first months, more than 400 people stopped and took a photo saying that they were enough.

When The Tab asked what Eckhart’s ultimate goal with the campaign is, her eyes widened with excitement. “I want it to be nationwide!” she says. “I want it to be at every college campus and maybe even some high schools. It’s just so important.”

Be sure to stop by and take a picture with an “I Am Enough” poster board at Schine in February (even Officer Friendly took a picture last year!).

For more information, check out the I Am Enough-Syracuse University Facebook page or email Sara Eckhart at [email protected].

Syracuse University