An honest packing list for freshman year at Stanford University

What they probably won’t tell you at Orientation

Wondering what to throw in that suitcase, duffel, or tote? Worry no further! To supplement the endless paperwork you’ve already received, here’s a few more great ideas on what to pack!

Welcome to The Farm.

Duck tape is almighty

Whether you’re pranking the cute guy/gal across the hall by taping their dresser shut or trying to keep your fan from falling apart, this trusty adhesive is a must.

Unless you want to pay for new paint, I would not advise using it to hang things on your walls.

Shot glasses are actually a great idea

Even if you don’t drink, bring a shot glass.

We’ve all heard the transport horror stories of teens and young adults simply not understanding what constitutes “a drink.” A shot glass is a far better measuring tool than a red solo cup, mason jar, water bottle, or just chugging for awhile.

Be smart. Measure responsibly.

On that note, bring EANABS! EANABS, Equally Attractive Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Snacks, are a necessity for any party with alcohol. It’s important to make everyone feel included whether they want a beer or not.

Dorm décor to make your room less clinical 

Photos from home, some twine, and clothespins are one of the fastest and easiest ways to make your room feel homey.

It also brings friendly faces near – something that will come in handy when finals make you homesick. Stanford is awesome, but it’s still okay to miss home.

Rising senior Miguel says he wishes he’d brought framed photos of his family: “I definitely would have gotten more inspiration from a picture of my family than the colorful rumps of the ladies of my Pink Floyd poster.”

Trust me, you need a onesie

As you may have heard, we have a thing for rally gear at Stanford. One of the biggest go-too items is a fuzzy onesie complete with footies! The crazier the better – unicorns preferred.

Prepare for band runs across campus and lots of dancing!

Don’t bring t-shirts

Seriously.

Between the free shirts during New Student Orientation, sports games, and alumni events (although, as your dad might remind you, the t-shirts aren’t free as long as you pay tuition), you will have more t-shirts than you know what to do with.

This will only be amplified if you decide to go to a Computer Science career fair. Nothing says, “Hire me!” like taking a t-shirt.

Flip flops and pajamas will be worn all year around

While people may judge you on which dining hall you prefer for brunch (Wilbur may have the best omelets, but come on, Stern has no crowds!), they will never judge you for your cloths.

Flip-flops and pajama pants are not an uncommon class uniform.

Bring a swimsuit though because now that the fountains have been turned back on (pray the drought continues to lesson), Fountain Hopping has regained its position as the best method of cooling down.

Bring clothes you don’t mind getting dunked in too – one of the most cherished traditions involves throwing someone into the shower the midnight that starts their birthday.

Rain gear – it might be California, but it’s still legit

Weather is not a valid excuse for skipping class. (Although many lecture classes are mysteriously empty on the five days a quarter it does decide to sprinkle.)

Fenders are a must to avoid “swamp butt,” and a rain jacket will help keep those pesky college colds away.

A note on notes

If you bring a cute little whiteboard with the hope that people will leave you cute little messages, be prepared for phallic drawings. If you do not have a whiteboard but your friends have a sense of humor, you might also be met with a flurry of sticky notes.

An open mind

The best part of Stanford is by far and away the people. Be prepared to listen when you disagree and allow everyone room to speak.

And be prepared to tell people what your spirit animal is.

No matter what clothes you wear, music you bump, or poster you put on your wall, bring an open heart and mind.

Welcome home and enjoy your year!

Stanford University