Lianna Holston: Hello from the Other Side

I am actively terrible at packing

Hello from the other side (of the pond)

(Get it)

(Because I am in England)

I write you, loyal reader/newcomer/very confused person who accidentally clicked on this page hoping for a link to Adele’s video [if that is the case: here you go, stranger. please show yourself out], from a bus. That’s right. There is wifi. On a bus. Technology is amazing! The future is now!

I sat in a window seat on the right side of the bus so as to serenely regard the scenery as it flowed past, but if you’ll recall from my parenthetical statement two paragraphs ago, I am in England. So the view of the highway median is real good. Very even and artful spacing of trash. I’m an idiot.

oh.

How the heck is everyone over there? Pls do send updates via Facebook message/iMessage/text message (aka any platform you’d have sent them were I still in the U.S. Like I said: technology is amazing).

While I may not be on campus, these are the things I have ascertained from Stanford’s trustiest news source aka Yik Yak. Since I am pressed for time due to the nature of me writing this ON A BUS, I’ve compressed all of the newsworthy items into one sentence:

WE DEMAND fewer caterpillars falling from the sky unless they’re still deciding about whether or not to rush a frat or if they’re single in which case: kik??? ugh how am I already behind on work oh maybe because I spend so much time procrastinating amirite ladies hahaha #relatable.

What a start to Darty Spring Quarter.

Some ~sage advice~ about Spring Quarter from someone who has lived through one so far and is therefore a pro at this and can tell you how to live your life.

1. Rush is coming up. Try not to let other people dictate how much you value yourself. A way longer message on this two weeks from now. Probably. Depending on if I am still jetlagged.
  2. A lot of people are going to be wearing a lot less clothing. Go to the gym.
  3. Buy a mini fan to keep yourself cool at all times because trust me you will be sweating more than expected and at very inopportune moments.
  4. If you miss every class Week 8 due to a hospital visit, your professors will be understanding but your GPA will not. Stay healthy.
  5. Don’t start your Saturday with a darty at TDX, take a nap, and then go out again at night. You will remember nothing but regret everything the next day.

Omg the bus just took a right turn but in the UK right turns are like US left turns and WOW that is off-putting.

Also the bus driver just announced a stop that was definitely not listed when I bought a ticket.

I might be on the wrong bus.

FALSE ALARM I’m totally on the right bus we’re cool except that I feel like death because it turns out that sitting on a plane for 9 hours doesn’t do wonders for your wellbeing or competence.

Oh wow we have arrived. Yikes I should figure out where my hotel/brain is.

Okay! Bye for now, California dreamers!

Lianna “80% sure I can’t move my legs rn due to ~travel fatigue~” Holston

Stanford University