Meet Seventeen38: The Team running for Stanford Senior Class President

Hey, what’s up? Hello

Meet Seventeen38, four friends who hope to “celebrate 17 right” as next year’s Senior Class Presidents. The team consists of current juniors Teodoro (Teo) Lallana Camacho VI, Julia Olson, Eddy Rosales, and Anna Wang.

Their plan? At least 38 events in 30 weeks if elected.

Seventeen38 is a hardworking group that get along really well and have a love for fun. Each candidate brings a unique energy and work style to the group dynamic. In their own words: “Anna is always on top of it, and handles all the logistics. Eddy and Teo bring a ton of energy to the group and are the creative minds. Julia is a cool mix between her product design side, which is her creative side, and her logistics heavy side.”  Together, they are a diverse team coming from Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, and California.  In terms of majors, they are studying Earth Systems, Product Design, International Relations, and Computer Science.

I sat down to chat with Seventeen38 about Stanford, books, and flowers.

Teo and Anna giving Eddy and Julia a piggyback ride.

What time did you guys get up this morning, and what did you do?

Teo: I woke up at around 11 and finished an episode of House of Cards that I passed out watching last night.

Julia: I got up at 10 to get homework done.

Eddy: I woke up at eight. I hadn’t finished a novel for a paper so I woke up to finish it. 

Anna: Today, I woke up at 10 to FaceTime my sister. I have a twin who is currently abroad at Cape Town.

Me: Are you guys identical?

Anna: I think so. I actually think we’re fraternal even though we look alike.

Me: Is that possible?

Anna: Yeah, so Mary-Kate and Ashley look alike but they’re fraternal.

Julia: I did not know that. I actually have a twin too — definitely fraternal though, my twin’s a boy.

I dare you to find anything cuter than Julia and her nephews

Describe each other to me?

Julia:  Anna is always on top of everything, she handles all the logistics. Eddy and Teo are very similar. They bring a ton of energy to the group, and are definitely the creative ones of the bunch.

Anna: Julia is a cool mix between her product design side, which is her really creative side, and her logistics side. She’s also very silly. She likes to pronounce people’s names wrong on purpose.

Teo: Yeah, Julia calls me Tay-O (it’s actually pronounced Tee-O).

Eddy: Julia brings us together. She’s a natural born leader and also very competitive. In a very good way. We’re glad she’s on our side, she’s competitive but also a great team player.

Eddy being creative

How did you guys meet?

Eddy:  We all met at different times. I met Teo at a barber shop, we were both getting a haircut. For some reason, I didn’t bring my bike. Teo was like “hey, I kind of know your face, you go to Stanford, do you want a ride?”

Teo: I didn’t think it was that weird.

Eddy: No it wasn’t, I was so thankful and happy you gave me a ride home. And Julia I got close to when we did Sophomore College together. We did Life in the Zoo, so we went to work at the zoo together every morning. She worked with the lions and I worked with the giraffes.

Teo with his fresh haircut

How did the group form?

Julia: I was always thinking about running for senior class president but I had no idea who to run with. A friend told me Anna Wang was also interested, so at Junior Arts Night I walked up to Anna and said “hey I’m thinking of running for class president, do you want to run with me?”

Anna: I was so happy and surprised. I was like “wow yes, this was easy!”

Julia: It was this really short interaction.

Anna: I remember saying “I feel like we should hug each other now”.

Julia: So we did, we totally did. Just hugged each other.

Anna: From there, it was pretty much constant texting between us two until we brought in other members. We brainstormed people who we thought would add a different element to the team and also be super enthusiastic, which led us to Teo and Eddy.

Happy and Surprised Anna

What is your favorite book?

Anna: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Teo: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey.

Eddy: My favorite book changes depending on how I’m feeling or on the different stages of my life. Right now, it’s probably The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein.

Julia: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

First thing you guys notice about someone when you meet them?

Julia: I love a person’s smile. There’s different types of smiles and you can tell when it’s genuine. When they not only smile, but their eyes also light up. It’s a great indicator of how someone feels about you, if they’re really excited to see you.

Eddy: I notice how the people that are usually around the person act towards them. I think that’s a great indicator about what kind of person they are.

Anna: How they carry themselves. Posture, aura, how they treat the people around them. 

Teo: I notice their overall face, their expressions. I get a read off of people based on the way their face moves.

What is your favorite flower?

Anna: Chrysanthemums. My grandpa used to grow them in our backyard.

Teo: I like roses.

Eddy: I like corn actually. I’m from Nebraska so corn reminds me of home.

Julia: Hydrangeas. They smell really good.

Favorite place on campus?

Julia: The cactus garden on Palm drive. I sit on this one tree in the middle of the garden and it’s a place to be by myself.

Eddy: My place is not secret at all. I really like the oval, if you go during sunset there’s few tourists there and I take time to appreciate the school I go to, it’s beautiful. My friend and I have been walking there at least once a week, all the way from Oak Creek, and it’s a very relaxing way to end the week.

Anna: Top of memorial church, especially at night. I love getting on the roof.

Teo: I like to people watch. Right by the math corner, there’s a place where you can sit on the main quad and just watch everyone bike by.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Eddy: Employed.

Julia: I want to make something that positively impacts people. That’s why I chose to be a Product Design major, and why I love Design For America.

Anna: The more that I experience at Stanford, the less I’m sure about what I want to do. Hopefully something that matters.

Eddy: I agree, I want to do something more than just going to an office everyday to make money. I want to go to sleep knowing I’m doing something that’s making an impact. But I also want to make sure I’m doing something I look forward to.

Teo: I don’t know about jobs but I know that I want to be a dad when I grow up.

Can you guys take a selfie right now?

Learn more about Seventeen38’s platform here: https://assu.herokuapp.com/seventeen38

Show some love, and vote on April 7th/8th. Let’s #MakeStanfordFunAgain.

Stanford University